Near Sharpsburg in Washington County, Maryland — The American Northeast (Mid-Atlantic)
Meade's Division, First Army Corps
Meade's Division, First Army Corps,
Maj. Gen. George G. Meade, Commanding,
September 16, 1862.
Meade's Division crossed the Antietam at the Sumner Bridge at 2 p.m. Sept. 16, and moved in a westerly direction toward the position of the enemy. At 6 p.m. Meade encountered Stuart's cavalry on the Smoketown Road and Hood's Division in the East Woods on the Smoketown Road. Seymour's Brigade was deployed and engaged the enemy, supported by Magilton and Anderson. The fighting ceased at dark and the division bivouacked on the ground it occupied at the close of the engagement. Seymour's Brigade in the east edge of the East Woods, Anderson's Brigade in and in rear of the North Woods and Magilton's Brigade midway between Seymour and Anderson.
Erected by Antietam Battlefield Board. (Marker Number 15.)
Marker series. This marker is included in the Antietam Campaign War Department Markers marker series.
Location. 39° 29.328′ N, 77° 44.758′ W. Marker is near Sharpsburg, Maryland, in Washington County. Marker is on Mansfield Avenue, on the left when traveling east. Click for map. Located just east of the pull off for stop two on the driving tour of Antietam
Other nearby markers. At least 10 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. A different marker also named Meade's Division, First Army Corps (here, next to this marker); 3rd Regt. Pennsylvania (here, next to this marker); First Army Corps (a few steps from this marker); a different marker also named First Army Corps (a few steps from this marker); 1st Corps, 3rd Division, 2nd Brigade Bivouac (a few steps from this marker); 8th Regt. Pennsylvania Reserver Volunteer Corps (within shouting distance of this marker); 4th Regiment Pennsylvania Reserve Volunteer Corps (within shouting distance of this marker); The Culmination of Another Great Tragedy was at Hand (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); Clara Barton (about 400 feet away); a different marker also named Clara Barton (about 400 feet away). Click for a list of all markers in Sharpsburg.
Also see . . .
1. Antietam Battlefield. National Park Service site. (Submitted on March 2, 2008, by Craig Swain of Leesburg, Virginia.)
2. Third Division, I Corps. Meade's Division was composed entirely of Pennsylvania Reserve regiments. These units shared a common and (Submitted on March 2, 2008, by Craig Swain of Leesburg, Virginia.)
3. Brief History of the Pennsylvania Reserves. The reserves were first raised during the initial call for volunteers. Pennsylvania found its quota filled, but the additional volunteers were held under state control. These were designated First through Fifteenth Pennsylvania Reserve Regiments. After the First Manassas, these troops were brought into Federal service. Upon entering the Union Army, the units were re-designated 30th to 44th Pennsylvania Infantry, to avoid confusion with other units. However the units remained brigaded together in the 3rd Division, and continued to carry the name "Reserves" through their service. (Submitted on March 2, 2008, by Craig Swain of Leesburg, Virginia.)
4. George Meade. George Gordon Meade (December 31, 1815 – November 6, 1872) was a career United States Army officer and civil engineer involved in the coastal construction of several lighthouses. (Submitted on October 25, 2015, by Brian Scott of Anderson, South Carolina.)
Categories. • War, US Civil •
Credits. This page originally submitted on , by Craig Swain of Leesburg, Virginia. This page has been viewed 724 times since then and 62 times this year. Photos: 1. submitted on , by Craig Swain of Leesburg, Virginia. 2. submitted on , by Brian Scott of Anderson, South Carolina. 3. submitted on , by Craig Swain of Leesburg, Virginia. 4, 5. submitted on , by Brian Scott of Anderson, South Carolina. 6, 7. submitted on , by Craig Swain of Leesburg, Virginia. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016.