Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Near Sharpsburg in Washington County, Maryland — The American Northeast (Mid-Atlantic)
 

The Roulette Farm

 
 
The Roulette Farm Marker image. Click for full size.
By Craig Swain, February 20, 2012
1. The Roulette Farm Marker
Inscription. The Battle Caused Considerable Destruction of Property Here
William Roulette

This farmstead dates from a time when Sharpsburg was the western frontier. In September 1862, it was the home of William and Margaret Roulette and their six children. They evacuated before the battle, but afterwards returned to find the wreckage of war and their home and yard being used as a field hospital. Then, over seven hundred soldiers (most of them killed at the Sunken Road) were buried on their 180 acre farm. With such "considerable destruction," Roulette filed a claim of $2,496 with the U.S. Government for damage to his property.

No civilians were killed the day of the battle. However many died over the next few months from diseases caused by the unsanitary conditions in the soldier camps and hospitals, mass graves and contaminated water. Sadly, William Roulette wrote of one victim who died five weeks after the battle, "our youngest died ...a charming little girl twenty months old Carrie May - just beginning to talk."

(Caption for Background Photo):
This photo was taken from the west side of the house just after the battle. The 130th Pennsylvania Infantry marched past the house on their way to the Sunken Road. Pvt. J.D. Hemmingen remembered a "large barn, wagon shed, stone wall on which stood the garden fence,
Portraits of the Roulettes image. Click for full size.
By Craig Swain, February 20, 2012
2. Portraits of the Roulettes
Portraits of William and Margaret Roulette in the 1850s.
the dwelling house and a spring house." The 130th suffered an attack by bees when the Roulette family hives were knocked over during their advance.
 
Erected by Antietam National Battlefield - National Park Service - Department of the Interior.
 
Location. 39° 28.539′ N, 77° 44.304′ W. Marker is near Sharpsburg, Maryland, in Washington County. Marker can be reached from Mummas Lane, on the right when traveling south. Click for map. Located on the Three Farms Trail at Antietam National Battlefield. Marker is in this post office area: Sharpsburg MD 21782, United States of America.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Mumma Farm Lane (approx. 0.2 miles away); Historic Cemetery (approx. mile away); I Found the Enemy in Great Force (approx. mile away); A House Was Burning (approx. mile away); Fourteenth Connecticut Volunteer Infantry (approx. mile away); 5th Md. Vet. Vol. Infy. (approx. 0.3 miles away); Battery A, 1st Rhode Island Light Artillery (approx. 0.3 miles away); Second Army Corps (approx. 0.3 miles away). Click for a list of all markers in Sharpsburg.
 
Categories. War, US Civil
 
Nancy Camel image. Click for full size.
By Craig Swain, February 20, 2012
3. Nancy Camel
Nancy Camel was manumitted, or freed, by the Miller family in 1859. Shortly thereafter, she was employed by the Roulettes. Nancy lived and worked on this farm for the rest of her life. When she died in 1892 she left her estate to the Roulette and Miller children.
The Roulette Farm Marker image. Click for full size.
By Craig Swain, February 20, 2012
4. The Roulette Farm Marker
Roulette House image. Click for full size.
By Craig Swain, February 20, 2012
5. Roulette House
The house sets on a rise.
View of the Roulette Farm from the east image. Click for full size.
By Craig Swain, February 20, 2012
6. View of the Roulette Farm from the east
Roulette Barn image. Click for full size.
By Craig Swain, February 20, 2012
7. Roulette Barn
The Roulette Farm image. Click for full size.
By Craig Swain, April 18, 2009
8. The Roulette Farm
Seen from the nearby Sunken Road observation tower. The barn of the Roulette farm is just right of center. The white buildings in the distant left are those of the nearby Mumma Farm.
 
 
Credits. This page originally submitted on , by Craig Swain of Leesburg, Virginia. This page has been viewed 387 times since then and 4 times this year. Photos:   1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8. submitted on , by Craig Swain of Leesburg, Virginia. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016.
Paid Advertisement