Inscription. Travel point since pioneer days, when travelers coming overland from the Susquehanna continued by water from "Canoe Place." The town grew as a center of lumber and tanning industry. Its descriptive present name came into use about 1840.
By Mike Wintermantel, September 3, 2012
|1. Port Allegany Marker|
Erected 1948 by Pennsylvania Historical and Museum Commission.
Location. 41° 49.166′ N, 78° 17.362′ W. Marker is in Port Allegany, Pennsylvania, in McKean County. Marker is on U.S. 6 0.2 miles west of North Main Street (U.S. 6), on the right when traveling east. Click for map. Marker is in this post office area: Port Allegany PA 16743, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 9 miles of this marker, as the crow flies. A different marker also named Port Allegany (approx. ¾ mile away); Allegheny Portage (approx. 1.1 miles away); Mount Equity Plantation (approx. 5.1 miles away); Saint Mary's Church (approx. 6.3 miles away); Tidewater Pipe Company (approx. 7.1 miles away); McKean County (approx. 8.2 miles away); "The Bucktails" (approx. 8.2 miles away); Smethport (approx. 8.2 miles away).
Credits. This page originally submitted on September 3, 2012, by Mike Wintermantel of Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania. This page has been viewed 75 times since then. Photo 1. submitted on September 3, 2012, by Mike Wintermantel of Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania.
|Recommend or Share This Page. |