Inscription. Below is Fusselman Canyon, which follows the Fusselman Canyon Fault, a major natural cut into the Franklin Mountains. For centuries it has served as a natural corridor for the movement of people, goods and livestock between the river valley to the west and the desert basin to the east. The canyon also served as a source of seasonal water, plant and animals for the many Native Americans who inhabited this region. It is named in honor of Charles H. Fusselman (1866-1890), Texas Ranger and U.S. Deputy Marshall.
By Wyndfire, September 3, 2012
|1. Fusselman Canyon Marker|
In the late 19th Century, El Paso was a booming town, but outlying areas were still plagued by frontier conditions. On April 17, 1890, local rancher John Barnes reported that his horses and cattle has been stolen. Later that day, Charles Fusselman was deputized and led Barnes and city policeman George Herold into the Franklin Mountains to chase the rustlers.
The thieves intended to drive the horses and cattle through the canyon (along the path of today's Woodrow Bean Trans Mountain Road), through Smuggler's Gap at the top of the canyon, and then into the Rio Grande Bosque near Canutillo, Texas. Fusselman's party captured one of the rustlers before encountering the outlaws' camp. There they were met with a barrage of gunfire, and Fusselman was shot and killed. The outlaws escaped after the outnumbered Barnes and
Herold left their prisoner and fled the scene. Fusselman's body was later recovered and taken to Lagarto, Texas, where he was buried.
By Wyndfire, September 3, 2012
|2. Fusselman Canyon Marker|
|Woodrow Bean Transmountain Rd and Fusselman Canyon below|
For the next ten years, lawmen pursued the rustlers. Geronimo Parra, the outlaw leader, was finally arrested, tried and found guilty of Fusselman's murder. He was legally hanged in January 1900 in El Paso. The canyon became known as Fusselman Canyon in honor of the slain deputy and ranger.
Erected 2002 by Texas Historical Commission. (Marker Number 12913.)
Location. 31° 53.626′ N, 106° 28.303′ W. Marker is in El Paso, Texas, in El Paso County. Marker is on Woodrow Bean Transmountain Road (Texas Route 375) 2.5 miles west of Patriot Freeway (U.S. 54), on the right when traveling east. Click for map. Marker is in this post office area: El Paso TX 79904, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 8 miles of this marker, as the crow flies. Southwestern General Hospital (approx. 7.6 miles away); William Beaumont General Hospital /Biggs Air Force Base / Fort Bliss (approx. 7.7 miles away); Scenic Drive (approx. 7.7 miles away); El Paso International Airport / The Butterfield Trail / Refinery Area (approx. 7.7 miles away); The Rio Grande Rectification Project (approx. 7.7 miles away); El Paso Lower Valley Missions/ Cordova Island/ The City and County of El Paso (approx. 7.7 miles away); The Franklin Mountains (approx. 7.7 miles away); The Rio Grande Irrigation Project (approx. 7.7 miles away). Click for a list of all markers in El Paso.
Credits. This page originally submitted on September 4, 2012, by Wyndfire of Phoenix, Arizona. This page has been viewed 112 times since then. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on September 4, 2012, by Wyndfire of Phoenix, Arizona. • Bernard Fisher was the editor who published this page.
|Recommend or Share This Page. |