Santa Clara in Washington County, Utah — The American Mountains (Southwest)
The architecture of this home represents the Greek Revival, Temple-form. This is a style popular during the settlement period in the Utah territory. The swag-like pattern of the "gingerbread" trim is common to Gothic Revival, or Carpenter Gothic as it is sometimes called. Although the trim seems a bit unusual for this type of house, early photos indicate that it was part of the original home. The trim, however, did not seem to be used as extensively on the original
The Hug-Gubler Home stands as a landmark for Santa Clara City. Restoring the home was the beginning of a resurgence of community pride for the Swiss heritage of the founders of Santa Clara who came to the area as a result of being "called" to the assignment by Brigham Young, governor of the Utah Territory and prophet of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints. When plans to tear down the Hug-Gubler Home surfaced in the early 1990s the Santa Clara Historical Society spoke loudly and clearly to declare the need for saving such structures. Their rescue efforts succeeded in restoring the dwelling into a small museum and home for the Society. Further efforts led to the establishment of Heritage Square, which encompassed the house, the Historical Relief Society Building, and the surrounding grounds.
Temple Form, 1847-1875
Temple-form houses may be one-and-a-half or two stories high and are almost always associated with the Greek Revival style. Different floor plans may be employed, and wings may also be present on one or both sides.
The temple-form house was an early nineteenth-century product of the Greek Revival stylistic movement. Seeking to capture
Location. 37° 7.981′ N, 113° 39.214′ W. Marker is in Santa Clara, Utah, in Washington County. Marker is on West Santa Clara Drive 0 miles west of Victors Street, on the right when traveling west. Click for map. Marker is in this post office area: Santa Clara UT 84765, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. The Settling of Santa Clara / First Public Buildings / Missionaries and Settlers (a few steps from this marker); Santa Clara Relief Society House (a few steps from this marker); John George and Susette Bosshard Hafen Home (a few steps from this marker); Preston and Vella Ruth Hafen Home (within shouting distance of this marker); Swiss Colony (within shouting distance of this marker); Frederick and Anna Reber Home (within shouting distance of this marker); Santa Clara Merc (about 600 feet away, measured in a direct line); Santa Clara Tithing Granary (about 600 feet away). Click for a list of all markers in Santa Clara.
Also see . . . Washingrton County Historical Society. The Hug-Gubler Home was originally owned by the Henry Hug family in the mid to late 1860's. This was one of the first permanent homes built in Santa Clara. (Submitted on September 7, 2012, by Bill Kirchner of Tucson, Arizona.)
Categories. • Settlements & Settlers •
Credits. This page originally submitted on , by Bill Kirchner of Tucson, Arizona. This page has been viewed 302 times since then and 38 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on , by Bill Kirchner of Tucson, Arizona. • Syd Whittle was the editor who published this page. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016.