Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Jacksonsport in Door County, Wisconsin — The American Midwest (Great Lakes)
 

The Episcopal Church of the Holy Nativity

 
 
The Episcopal Church of the Holy Nativity Marker image. Click for full size.
By Melinda Roberts, September 4, 2012
1. The Episcopal Church of the Holy Nativity Marker
Inscription. The Reverend W. R. Gardner founded the Episcopal Church of the Holy Nativity in 1882 to serve the Canadian Anglicans who had relocated to the area after the Civil War to cut and haul timber. Services were held once a month at the village schoolhouse. Later, $100 was raised to purchase 60 acres, sufficient for buildings and farmable land for a clergyman. The church cornerstone was laid September 24, 1885, and the first service was held July 25, 1886. While the church's original form is intact, the exterior was remodeled in 1962, when the brick base was replaced with horizontal wood boards, providing a more rustic appearance. The interior of the church retains most of its earlier finishes and furniture. The original grounds included a vicarage and parish hall, both destroyed by fire in 1936. A historic cemetery is maintained north of the church.
 
Erected 2008 by Wisconsin Historical Society. (Marker Number 521.)
 
Marker series. This marker is included in the Wisconsin Historical Society marker series.
 
Location. 44° 58.842′ N, 87° 11.68′ W. Marker is in Jacksonsport, Wisconsin, in Door County. Marker is on County Route V 0.2 miles west of County Road A, on the right when traveling west.
The Episcopal Church of the Holy Nativity Marker image. Click for full size.
By Melinda Roberts, September 4, 2012
2. The Episcopal Church of the Holy Nativity Marker
Click for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 3434 County V, Egg Harbor WI 54209, United States of America.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 7 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Jacksonport United Methodist Church (approx. 0.6 miles away); Halfway to the North Pole (approx. 2.1 miles away); Zion Evangelical Lutheran Church (approx. 2.6 miles away); Scow Schooner Ocean Wave (approx. 3.8 miles away); a different marker also named Halfway to the North Pole (approx. 6 miles away); 8064 Hwy. 57 (approx. 6.6 miles away); 8068 Hwy. 57 (approx. 6.7 miles away); War Memorial (approx. 6.8 miles away).
 
Categories. Cemeteries & Burial SitesChurches, Etc.
 
The Episcopal Church of the Holy Nativity Marker image. Click for full size.
By Melinda Roberts, September 4, 2012
3. The Episcopal Church of the Holy Nativity Marker
The Episcopal Church of the Holy Nativity Marker image. Click for full size.
By Melinda Roberts, September 4, 2012
4. The Episcopal Church of the Holy Nativity Marker
 
 
Credits. This page originally submitted on , by Melinda Roberts of De Pere, United States. This page has been viewed 304 times since then and 16 times this year. Photos:   1, 2, 3, 4. submitted on , by Melinda Roberts of De Pere, United States. • Bernard Fisher was the editor who published this page. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016.
Paid Advertisement