Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Fort Jackson, Columbia in Richland County, South Carolina — The American South (South Atlantic)
 

100th Inf Division

 
 
100th Inf Division Marker image. Click for full size.
By Mike Stroud, September 6, 2012
1. 100th Inf Division Marker
Inscription. At this site on 15 November 1942, Maj. Gen. W. A. Burress received the 100th Infantry Division colors, marking the official activation of the "Century Division." After a distinguished World War II record in southern France and Germany, the 100th was reorganized in the Army Reserve. It was the only USAR training division recalled during the 1961 Berlin crisis.
 
Erected by 100th Division (Tng), USAR, 1982, replacing a marker erected by the division in 1971. (Marker Number 40-54.)
 
Location. 34° 0.086′ N, 80° 57.076′ W. Marker is in Fort Jackson, Columbia, South Carolina, in Richland County. Marker is on Jackson Blvd., on the right when traveling south. Click for map. Located between Bragg Street and Anderson Street. Marker is in this post office area: Columbia SC 29207, United States of America.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 2 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. 26th Inf Division (approx. 0.3 miles away); Darby Field (approx. 0.4 miles away); 108th Division (approx. 0.4 miles away); 4th Infantry Division (approx. half a mile away); 30th Inf Division (approx. 0.7 miles away); 31st Inf Division
100th Inf Division Marker, looking north, Jackson Blvd. image. Click for full size.
By Mike Stroud, September 6, 2012
2. 100th Inf Division Marker, looking north, Jackson Blvd.
(approx. 0.8 miles away); Bridge at Remagen Stone (approx. 0.8 miles away); Fort Jackson Elementary School / Hood Street Elementary School (approx. 1.2 miles away). Click for a list of all markers in Fort Jackson, Columbia.
 
Also see . . .  The 100th Infantry Division. was reactivated in the active duty force on 15 November 1942 at Fort Jackson, South Carolina. Enlisted personnel were primarily original members of the unit, fleshed out by fillers from the 76th Infantry Division. The Officers were mostly members of the unit, again fleshed out with fillers from the Organized Reserves. The commander of the 100th was Major General Withers A. Burress, one of only eleven generals who commanded their divisions for the entire war. (Submitted on September 6, 2012, by Mike Stroud of Bluffton, South Carolina.) 
 
Categories. Military
 
100th Inf Division Marker, looking south image. Click for full size.
By Mike Stroud, September 6, 2012
3. 100th Inf Division Marker, looking south
100th Inf Division Marker image. Click for full size.
By Mike Stroud, September 6, 2012
4. 100th Inf Division Marker
In Honor of those who served in the
100th Infantry Division

Activated at Fort Jackson, November 1942
and fought in the World War II Battles Of
Rhineland, Ardennes-Alsace and Central Europe
July 3, 1996
100th Inf Division Marker image. Click for full size.
By Mike Stroud, September 6, 2012
5. 100th Inf Division Marker
In memory of our
World War II Commanders
Lieutenant General Withers A. Burress
1894 - 1977
Brigadier General Andrew C. Tychsen
1893-1986

100th Infantry Division Association
July 3, 1996
 
 
Credits. This page originally submitted on , by Mike Stroud of Bluffton, South Carolina. This page has been viewed 286 times since then. Photos:   1, 2, 3. submitted on , by Mike Stroud of Bluffton, South Carolina.   4, 5. submitted on , by Mike Stroud of Bluffton, South Carolina. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016.
Paid Advertisement