Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Fort Gillem in Clayton County, Georgia — The American South (South Atlantic)
 

Hardee Hall

 
 
Hardee Hall Marker image. Click for full size.
By David Seibert, September 6, 2012
1. Hardee Hall Marker
Inscription. Named in honor of Lieut. General William Joseph Hardee (USMA 1838), CSA. A Corps commander during the Atlanta Campaign, he fought a delaying action on Depot site during the retreat. Later, he commanded the Department of South Carolina, Georgia and Florida and served as Corps commander in the Army of Tennessee until its surrender. Born at Savannah, Georgia, October 10, 1815. Died November 6, 1873.
 
Erected 1957 by Georgia Historical Commission. (Marker Number 031-AGD-2.)
 
Marker series. This marker is included in the Georgia Historical Society/Commission marker series.
 
Location. 33° 37.715′ N, 84° 18.876′ W. Marker is in Fort Gillem, Georgia, in Clayton County. Marker is at the intersection of Club Drive and Hood Avenue, on the left when traveling east on Club Drive. Click for map. Marker is in this post office area: Forest Park GA 30297, United States of America.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 3 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. McIntosh Gate (within shouting distance of this marker); Wheeler Drive (about 400 feet away, measured in a direct line); Hood Avenue (about 400 feet away); Flankers Road
Hardee Hall Marker image. Click for full size.
By David Seibert, September 6, 2012
2. Hardee Hall Marker
(approx. 1.5 miles away); Fort Gillem (approx. 1.7 miles away); a different marker also named Hood Avenue (approx. 2.1 miles away); Iverson Gate (approx. 2.1 miles away); Stewart’s & Lee’s A.C. March to Lovejoy’s Sta. (approx. 2.5 miles away). Click for a list of all markers in Fort Gillem.
 
More about this marker. The marker stands in the former Fort Gillem, now owned by the City of Forest Park. The city is just beginning to redevelop the property, and most of the existing buildings will be torn down. The Executive Director of the city’s Local Redevelopment Authority specifically intends to preserve all the historical markers on the site.
 
Regarding Hardee Hall. Hardee Hall was used as the Officers' Club for Fort Gillem.

Fort Gillem was designated the Atlanta General Depot at the time the markers were erected, explaining the Georgia Historical Marker numbering. It was renamed the Atlanta Army Depot in 1962, and Fort Gillem in 1973.
 
Categories. Forts, CastlesWar, US Civil
 
Hardee Hall Marker image. Click for full size.
By David Seibert, September 6, 2012
3. Hardee Hall Marker
Hardee Hall is in the background. The marker originally stood directly opposite the front entrance.
Lt. Gen. William Joseph Hardee, C.S.A. image. Click for full size.
Wikipedia
4. Lt. Gen. William Joseph Hardee, C.S.A.
 
 
Credits. This page originally submitted on , by David Seibert of Sandy Springs, Georgia. This page has been viewed 300 times since then and 7 times this year. Photos:   1, 2, 3, 4. submitted on , by David Seibert of Sandy Springs, Georgia. • Craig Swain was the editor who published this page. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016.
Paid Advertisement