Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Fort Gillem in Clayton County, Georgia — The American South (South Atlantic)
 

Hood Avenue

 
 
Hood Avenue Marker image. Click for full size.
By David Seibert, September 6, 2012
1. Hood Avenue Marker
Inscription. Named in honor of General John Bell Hood (USMA 1853), who was a Lieut. General in command of the 2nd Corps, Army of Tennessee, CSA, during Atlanta Campaign in 1864. He succeeded General Joseph E. Johnston as commanding general of Confederate forces who were defeated in the Battle of Atlanta and whose troops fought a delaying action on the Depot site during the retreat. Born at Owingsville, Ky., June 1, 1831. Died August 30, 1879.
 
Erected 1957 by Georgia Historical Commission. (Marker Number 031-AGD-1.)
 
Marker series. This marker is included in the Georgia Historical Society/Commission marker series.
 
Location. 33° 37.65′ N, 84° 18.917′ W. Marker is in Fort Gillem, Georgia, in Clayton County. Marker is at the intersection of Hood Avenue and Wheeler Drive, on the right when traveling west on Hood Avenue. Click for map. The marker stands in the former Fort Gillem, now owned by the City of Forest Park. The city is just beginning to redevelop the property, and most of the existing buildings will be torn down. The Executive Director of the city’s Local Redevelopment Authority intends to preserve all the historical markers on the site. Fort Gillem is a restricted area. Marker is in this post office area: Forest Park GA 30297, United States of America.
 
Other nearby markers.
Hood Avenue Marker image. Click for full size.
By David Seibert, September 6, 2012
2. Hood Avenue Marker
At least 8 other markers are within 3 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Wheeler Drive (within shouting distance of this marker); McIntosh Gate (about 400 feet away, measured in a direct line); Hardee Hall (about 400 feet away); Flankers Road (approx. 1.5 miles away); Fort Gillem (approx. 1.6 miles away); a different marker also named Hood Avenue (approx. 2 miles away); Iverson Gate (approx. 2.1 miles away); Stewart’s & Lee’s A.C. March to Lovejoy’s Sta. (approx. 2.5 miles away). Click for a list of all markers in Fort Gillem.
 
More about this marker. Fort Gillem was designated the Atlanta General Depot at the time the markers were erected, explaining the Georgia Historical Marker numbering. It was renamed the Atlanta Army Depot in 1962, and Fort Gillem in 1973.
 
Regarding Hood Avenue. Hood Avenue runs from McIntosh Gate to Iverson Gate at Fort Gillem; it was effectively the main road of the post.
 
Categories. Forts, CastlesWar, US Civil
 
Hood Avenue Marker image. Click for full size.
By David Seibert, September 6, 2012
3. Hood Avenue Marker
Looking east, with McIntosh Gate in the background
Hood Avenue Marker image. Click for full size.
By David Seibert, September 6, 2012
4. Hood Avenue Marker
Looking west on Hood Avenue in Fort Gillem
Hood Avenue Marker image. Click for full size.
By David Seibert, September 6, 2012
5. Hood Avenue Marker
Looking west, with some of the warehouses of the former Atlanta General Depot in the background.
Hood Avenue Marker image. Click for full size.
By David Seibert, September 6, 2012
6. Hood Avenue Marker
Looking north at the marker with warehouses of the former Atlanta General Depot in the background.
General John Bell Hood, CSA, after whom Hood Avenue is named. image. Click for full size.
Wikipedia
7. General John Bell Hood, CSA, after whom Hood Avenue is named.
 
 
Credits. This page originally submitted on , by David Seibert of Sandy Springs, Georgia. This page has been viewed 328 times since then and 12 times this year. Photos:   1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7. submitted on , by David Seibert of Sandy Springs, Georgia. • Craig Swain was the editor who published this page. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016.
Paid Advertisement