Inscription. Completed in 1898, this structure was built as a waterworks station for the village of Paw Paw. Water from artesian wells powered the plant, first by steam and after 1908 by hydro-electricity. In the 1920s the wells were capped, and the structure soon fell into disrepair. Warner Vineyards purchased the structure in 1967. Using lumber from old wine casks and period materials, the firm remodeled the station as a tourist and education center, which opened in 1967.
September 8, 2012
|1. Warner Wine Haus Marker|
Erected 1982 by Michigan History Division, Department of State. (Marker Number 939.)
Location. 42° 12.785′ N, 85° 53.514′ W. Marker is in Paw Paw, Michigan, in Van Buren County. Marker can be reached from South Kalamazoo Street (Michigan Route 40) 0.1 miles north of Commercial Avenue, on the left when traveling north. Click for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 706 S Kalamazoo St, Paw Paw MI 49079, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 2 other markers are within 15 miles of this marker, as the crow flies. Van Buren County / Van Buren County Courthouse (approx. ¼ mile away); Newton House (approx. 14.4 miles away).
Credits. This page originally submitted on September 11, 2012. This page has been viewed 49 times since then. Photos: 1. submitted on September 11, 2012. • Bernard Fisher was the editor who published this page.
Editor’s want-list for this marker. Wide shot of marker and its surroundings. Photo of the building. • Can you help?
|Recommend or Share This Page. |