Inscription. The intersection of Main and High Streets formed the commercial crossroads of Belfast and in 1799 it was the site of the first store. Sometimes known as City Block in honor of the impending new city charter, the James Y. McClintock Block was built in 1850. It housed City Hall (a large social hall), the print-works of the Republican Journal newspaper, and street level storefronts. The cupola, removed in 1955, was used by Civil Defense plane spotters during World War II.
By James True, May 29, 2012
|1. Main and High Marker|
The grand building directly across Main Street was built by the Masonic Temple Association of Belfast. Over 10,000 visitors were in attendance at the building's dedication on July 4, 1879. The ceremonies were preceded by a procession of 3,000 Masons from thirty-two lodges, accompanied by nine bands (photo c. 1900).
Erected 2004 by The Belfast Historical Society and Museum, Inc., The City of Belfast, and the Belfast Community. (Marker Number 4.)
Location. 44° 25.58′ N, 69° 0.406′ W. Marker is in Belfast, Maine, in Waldo County. Marker is at the intersection of Main Street and High Street, on the right when traveling south on Main Street. Click for map. Marker is in this post office area: Belfast ME 04915, United States of America.
Other nearby markers.
At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. The Windsor Hotel (within shouting distance of this marker); The Circus Comes to Town (within shouting distance of this marker); The Silver Screen (about 300 feet away, in a direct line); Belfast City Hall (about 300 feet away); The Opera House (about 400 feet away); Post Office Square (about 400 feet away); Downtown Main Street (about 400 feet away); The Belfast Historical Society Museum (about 500 feet away). Click for a list of all markers in Belfast.
By James True, September 1, 2012
|2. Main and High Marker|
More about this marker. Marker #4 (of 30) in "The Museum in the Streets". The text on the Marker is in English, followed by a French translation.