Columbia in Boone County, Missouri — The American Midwest (Upper Plains)
Site of Columbia College
On this site stood Columbia College an institution of higher learning for men. First proposed in 1831, chartered by General Assembly in 1833, began its work in 1834. First session of University of Missouri held here in 1841. This college has been called the seed from which grew the University of Missouri.
This marker erected by the
Daughters of the American Colonists
John Corbin Chapter
June 8th, 1933
Mrs. Edward Thurman Smith, State Regent
Mrs. B. J. Dangerfield, Chapter Regent
Erected 1933 by State Society, Daughters of the American Colonists, and John Corbin Chapter.
Location. 38° 56.832′ N, 92° 19.862′ W. Marker is in Columbia, Missouri, in Boone County. Marker is on 6th Street south of Chestnut Street, on the right when traveling south. Click for map. Marker is on the grounds of the Missouri State Teachers Association. Marker is at or near this postal address: 407 South 6th Street, Columbia MO 65205, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 2 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Beetle Bailey (approx. 0.2 miles away); The Mel Carnahan Quadrangle (approx. ¼ mile away); Memorial Union Tower George Clinton Swallow (approx. 0.4 miles away); James Shannon L.L.D. (approx. 0.4 miles away); Columbia Cemetery (approx. 0.4 miles away); Don Faurot / Faurot Field (approx. 0.7 miles away); Jewell Cemetery (approx. 1.9 miles away). Click for a list of all markers in Columbia.
Also see . . . History of Columbia College. (Submitted on September 14, 2012, by William Fischer, Jr. of Fort Scott, Kansas.)
Categories. • Education • Man-Made Features •
Credits. This page originally submitted on , by William Fischer, Jr. of Fort Scott, Kansas. This page has been viewed 319 times since then and 60 times this year. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on , by William Fischer, Jr. of Fort Scott, Kansas. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016.