Livingston in Polk County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)
March 30, 1846
Organized July 13, 1846
with Livingston as county seat
James Knox Polk, 1795-1849
President of the United States
the annexation of Texas
Early settlements were
Drew's Landing, Mariana, Swartout
On 1,280 acres granted by the
state in 1854, the descendants
of the Alabama Indians still live
Erected 1936 by Texas Highway Department. (Marker Number 16074.)
Marker series. This marker is included in the Texas 1936 Centennial Markers and Monuments marker series.
Location. 30° 42.611′ N, 94° 56′ W. Marker is in Livingston, Texas, in Polk County. Marker is on West Mill Street west of North Washington Avenue (Business U.S. 59), on the right when traveling east. Click for map. Marker is in this post office area: Livingston TX 77351, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 2 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Site of Old Andress Inn (a few steps from this marker but has been reported missing); 1905 Courthouse Annex (within shouting distance of this marker); Polk County Courthouse Polk County, C.S.A.. (within shouting distance of this marker); Old City Cemetery (approx. 0.2 miles away); Locomotive No. 5 (approx. 0.2 miles away); Birthplace of Margo Jones (approx. 0.4 miles away); Greenfield Cemetery (approx. 1.3 miles away). Click for a list of all markers in Livingston.
Categories. • Native Americans • Settlements & Settlers •
Credits. This page originally submitted on , by Steve Gustafson of Lufkin, Texas. This page has been viewed 186 times since then and 53 times this year. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on , by Steve Gustafson of Lufkin, Texas. • Bernard Fisher was the editor who published this page. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016.