“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Enoch in Iron County, Utah — The American Mountains (Southwest)

Johnson's Fort

Johnson's Fort Marker image. Click for full size.
By Bill Kirchner, August 29, 2012
1. Johnson's Fort Marker
Inscription. During the summer of 1851, a small company of men was exploring this area and discovered the springs on the bench one-fourth mile to the east. Joel H. Johnson was so impressed with the spot, that he sought and received permission from George A. Smith to build a house and corral at the springs and care for the cattle belonging to the settlers of Iron County. In 1854, Brigham Young called other families to assist in this endeavor and to help build a fort for protection. The fort was named after Johnson who built his home inside the fort.
The fort was 10 rods square (165' x 165'). The 9' high walls, made of clay, were 2 1/2' thick at the bottom and 18" thick at the top. There was a large gate made of logs on the north side and a smaller gate on the south. For drinking water a well was dug in the center of the fort. Apple orchards and vegetable gardens were planted. A large two-story building, called the Bastion, was built with portholes for defense. Some of the cottonwood trees planted near the fort, now enormous, survive to this day.
In 1881, the fort became a mail station between Milford and Silver Reef. Ownership of the fort has changed many times. It was always a favorite gathering place for holiday celebrations like the 4th and 24th of July and May Day.
Some remains of the fort are visible one-half mile north of this
Johnson's Fort Marker image. Click for full size.
By Bill Kirchner, August 29, 2012
2. Johnson's Fort Marker
Erected 1991 by Iron Camp, Johnson Fort Camp – Daughters of Utah Pioneers. (Marker Number 461.)
Marker series. This marker is included in the Daughters of Utah Pioneers marker series.
Location. 37° 46.325′ N, 113° 1.931′ W. Marker is in Enoch, Utah, in Iron County. Marker is on Jones Road 0.4 miles west of Enoch Road, on the right when traveling west. Click for map. Marker is in this post office area: Cedar City UT 84721, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 7 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Enoch Schoolhouse and Tithing Office (approx. 0.3 miles away); Jones Iron Works Park (approx. 0.7 miles away); First Cedar Encampment (approx. 5.3 miles away); Sylvanus Cyrus Hulet (approx. 5.7 miles away); Cedar City Historic Pioneer Cemetery Wall (approx. 5.9 miles away); Pioneer Iron Works Blast Furnace (approx. 6.3 miles away); Deseret Iron Works (approx. 6.3 miles away); Fort Cedar (approx. 6.4 miles away). Click for a list of all markers in Enoch.
Categories. Forts, CastlesSettlements & Settlers
Credits. This page originally submitted on , by Bill Kirchner of Tucson, Arizona. This page has been viewed 368 times since then and 82 times this year. Photos:   1, 2. submitted on , by Bill Kirchner of Tucson, Arizona. • Syd Whittle was the editor who published this page. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016.
Editor’s want-list for this marker. Photo of the fort remains. • Photo of the Cottonwood Trees • Can you help?
Paid Advertisement