Macon in Bibb County, Georgia — The American South (South Atlantic)
War of 1812 Bicentennial Celebration
Erected 2012 by Major Philip Cook Chapter, National Society United States Daughters of 1812 and the Fort Hawkins Commission.
Marker series. This marker is included in the United States Daughters of 1812 marker series.
Location. 32° 50.967′ N, 83° 36.683′ W. Marker is in Macon, Georgia, in Bibb County. Marker is at the intersection of Woolfolk Street and Smith Street, on the right when traveling east on Woolfolk Street. Click for map. The marker is located just inside the main gate to the Fort Hawkins site. Marker is in this post office area: Macon GA 31217, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this Fort Hawkins (here, next to this marker); Gen. James Edward Oglethorpe (within shouting distance of this marker); The Dunlap House (approx. 0.6 miles away); Battles of Dunlap Farm (approx. 0.6 miles away); William Bartram Trail (approx. 0.7 miles away); Central City College/Georgia Baptist College (approx. 0.8 miles away); a different marker also named The Dunlap House (approx. 0.8 miles away); Battle of Dunlap Hill-Stoneman's Raid (approx. 0.8 miles away). Click for a list of all markers in Macon.
Regarding War of 1812 Bicentennial Celebration. The present Fort Hawkins blockhouse is a replica on the original site, constructed in 1938 by the Nathaniel Macon Chapter, Daughters of the American Revolution.
Categories. • Forts, Castles • War of 1812 •
Credits. This page originally submitted on , by David Seibert of Sandy Springs, Georgia. This page has been viewed 455 times since then and 4 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6. submitted on , by David Seibert of Sandy Springs, Georgia. • Craig Swain was the editor who published this page. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016.