Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Baycliff in Galveston County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)
 

Site of Clifton-By-The-Sea

 
 
Clifton-By-The-Sea Marker image. Click for full size.
By Jim Evans, September 18, 2012
1. Clifton-By-The-Sea Marker
Inscription. Established in 1910 through the partnership of area landowners G. C. Perkins and W. Y. Fuqua, Clifton-by-the-Sea is a reminder of the era in which prosperity returned to Galveston County following the devastating 1900 storm. Developed as a bayside resort for families, Clifton-by-the-Sea was one of several mainland communities between Galveston and Houston that grew up along the rail line that paralleled the western shore of Galveston Bay.

The resort featured parklands, a hotel, summer homes, and a bathhouse and open-air pavilion built on a pier out over the water at this site. By 1913, telephone service extended to Clifton-by-the-Sea, and the main street was a long boulevard known as Grand Avenue. The 1915 hurricane destroyed many of these improvements, but by 1924 the bathhouse and pavilion were rebuilt and summer residents were returning to the community. The pavilion-built once again after a 1929 fire destroyed it-hosted numerous summer dances with music provided by Houston and Galveston orchestras. A 1943 hurricane destroyed the bathhouse and pavilion for the final time.

After World War II, this area became home for workers in the nearby petrochemical plants. The Bayshore Community Club sponsored a variety of civic projects as the face of the community changed. When a post office was established in 1948, the
Clifton-By-The-Sea Marker image. Click for full size.
By Jim Evans, September 18, 2012
2. Clifton-By-The-Sea Marker
name Bacliff was adopted, but its origins as Clifton-by-the-Sea remain a strong part of its heritage.
 
Erected 2001 by Texas Historical Commission. (Marker Number 12450.)
 
Location. 29° 30.669′ N, 94° 58.608′ W. Marker is in Baycliff, Texas, in Galveston County. Marker is on FM 646 near Boulevard Street, on the right when traveling east. Click for map. Marker is in this post office area: Bacliff TX 77518, United States of America.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 7 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Kemah (approx. 2.8 miles away); Ritson Morris and Elmwood Plantation (approx. 4.7 miles away); Holy Trinity Episcopal Church (approx. 5.7 miles away); Prehistoric Indian Campsite (approx. 5.7 miles away); Faith United Methodist Church (approx. 6 miles away); Captain William Plunkett Harris (approx. 6.1 miles away); Harris County Boys' School Archeological Site (approx. 6.8 miles away); Webster Presbyterian Church (approx. 6.8 miles away).
 
Also see . . .
1. Clifton-By-The-Sea (Now Named Baycliff) in The Handbook of Texas. (Submitted on September 18, 2012, by Jim Evans of Houston, Texas.)
2. Clifton-By-The-Sea (Now Named Baycliff) in Wikipedia. (Submitted on September 18, 2012, by Jim Evans of Houston, Texas.)
 
Additional keywords. N29 30.669 W94 58.608
 
Categories. Settlements & Settlers
 
 
Credits. This page originally submitted on , by Jim Evans of Houston, Texas. This page has been viewed 264 times since then and 27 times this year. Photos:   1, 2. submitted on , by Jim Evans of Houston, Texas. • Craig Swain was the editor who published this page. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016.
Paid Advertisement