Paragonah in Iron County, Utah — The American Mountains (Southwest)
Paragonah Town Square
Apostle George A Smith led an expedition and colonized what is now Parowan in the year 1851. That spring, 40 acres were cultivated near Black Rock, south of town. In 1852 others joined the farming venture, building rude huts for shelter at "Red Creek," as it was originally named. In 1853 the settlement was abandoned due to Indian skirmishes, and was not resettled until 1855 when a fort was erected (see monument to the north).
The town's name was originally spelled "Paragoonah," an Indian word meaning "many watering holes." Artesian wells dotted the landscape, which today have been replaced by gravity-flow sprinkling systems that provide water to the abundant stands of alfalfa.
This Centennial year of 1996 finds a peaceful community with a spirit of unity, freedom from density of population,
Erected 1996 by Betsy Topham Camp, D.U.P. and The Paragonah Civic Committee.
Location. 37° 53.187′ N, 112° 46.517′ W. Marker is in Paragonah, Utah, in Iron County. Marker is at the intersection of Main Street and Center Street, on the right when traveling south on Main Street. Click for map. Marker is on the northwest corner. Marker is in this post office area: Paragonah UT 84760, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 5 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. The Tithing Lot and Relief Society Hall (within shouting distance of this marker); Paragonah Fort (within shouting distance of this marker); Pioneer Rock Church (approx. 4.3 miles away); Public Works (approx. 4.3 miles away); D.U.P. Relic Hall First School House and Council House in Iron County (approx. 4.3 miles away); Pioneer Sundial (approx. 4.3 miles away); John C. Freemont Memorial (approx. 4.3 miles away). Click for a list of all markers in Paragonah.
Related marker. Click here for another marker that is related to this marker.
Categories. • Exploration • Native Americans • Settlements & Settlers •
Credits. This page originally submitted on , by Bill Kirchner of Tucson, Arizona. This page has been viewed 242 times since then and 64 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on , by Bill Kirchner of Tucson, Arizona. • Bill Pfingsten was the editor who published this page. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016.