Inscription. In 1832, Point of Rocks served as the western terminus for the C&O Canal and the B&O Railroad. This was not deliberate, but the result of competition as the transportation pioneers wrangled in court for rights to the narrow passage between the Potomac River and Catoctin Mountains.
By Don Morfe, September 23, 2012
|1. Point of Rocks Marker|
A small village grew here in the early 1830ís which eventually took the name of the nearby geologic landmark. Considerable trade was done with neighbors from across the river in Virginia, desirous to send goods east via the transport lines.
Marker series. This marker is included in the Cheasapeake and Ohio Canal marker series.
Location. 39° 16.398′ N, 77° 32.382′ W. Marker is in Point of Rocks, Maryland, in Frederick County. Marker is on Canal Street. Click for map. Marker is in this post office area: Point of Rocks MD 21777, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 4 miles of this marker, as the crow flies. Battle at Point of Rocks (approx. 0.2 miles away); a different marker also named Point of Rocks (approx. 0.3 miles away); a different marker also named Point of Rocks (approx. 0.3 miles away); Loudoun County / Maryland (approx. half a mile away in Virginia); Taylorstown (approx. 2.4 miles away in Virginia); Abraham Lakin 2nd (approx. 3 miles away); Carroll's Mill (approx. 3.4 miles away); The Dutchmanís (approx. 4 miles away). Click for a list of all markers in Point of Rocks.