Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Hays in Ellis County, Kansas — The American Midwest (Upper Plains)
 

Well House

 
 
Well House Marker image. Click for full size.
By William Fischer, Jr., February 20, 2012
1. Well House Marker
Inscription.

In the summer of 1867 four wells were dug on the Fort Hays grounds. The one before you serviced the post hospital. These wells provided limited quantities of water. Periodic contamination rendered the water undrinkable.

As a result Big Creek became the primary source of water, supplying 1,500 to 2,000 gallons per day. Water was distributed daily to barrels throughout the fort, but not in quantities large enough for firefighting emergencies. This was later resolved when windmills were built to pump water into tanks.

I would most urgently recommend, not only for this Post but as a general rule, the importance of a first class system of supplying water and conveying it in unlimited quantities to every building...
- Annual Inspection Report, June 30, 1879
 
Erected by Kansas Historical Society.
 
Location. 38° 51.7′ N, 99° 20.612′ W. Marker is in Hays, Kansas, in Ellis County. Click for map. Marker is on the grounds of Fort Hays State Historic Site, off US Hwy 163 Alternate. Marker is at or near this postal address: 1472 US Highway 163 Alternate, Hays KS 67601, United States of America.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Bake House (within shouting distance of this marker);
Well House Photo on Marker image. Click for full size.
By Unknown, undated
2. Well House Photo on Marker
Guardhouse (within shouting distance of this marker); Fort Hays Military Cemetery (within shouting distance of this marker); Sentinel Hill (within shouting distance of this marker); Officers in Tents (within shouting distance of this marker); Laundress' Quarters (within shouting distance of this marker); Post Hospital (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); Quartermaster's Complex (about 300 feet away). Click for a list of all markers in Hays.
 
Also see . . .
1. Fort Hays State Historic Site. (Submitted on September 24, 2012, by William Fischer, Jr. of Scranton, Pennsylvania.)
2. Fort Hays State Historic Site. (Submitted on September 24, 2012, by William Fischer, Jr. of Scranton, Pennsylvania.)
 
Categories. Forts, CastlesMan-Made FeaturesWars, US Indian
 
Well House Replica and Marker image. Click for full size.
By William Fischer, Jr., February 20, 2012
3. Well House Replica and Marker
Looking north, with Officers' Row at distant left
 
 
Credits. This page originally submitted on , by William Fischer, Jr. of Scranton, Pennsylvania. This page has been viewed 196 times since then and 2 times this year. Photos:   1, 2, 3. submitted on , by William Fischer, Jr. of Scranton, Pennsylvania. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016.
Paid Advertisement