“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Dickinson in Galveston County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)

Faith United Methodist Church

Faith United Methodist Church Marker image. Click for full size.
By Jim Evans, September 26, 2012
1. Faith United Methodist Church Marker
Inscription. This congregation grew from the merger of two historically African-American Methodist congregations in Dickinson and League City. The first, Warren Chapel, was named for its founder, Richard H. Warren, who preached at the homes of Sophie Monroe and Wilimina Toussaint in 1889 to begin the church. Regular worship services were then held in the home of Shed Slaughter. In 1900, Warren was accepted as an ordained deacon in the Methodist Church, and the following year he was appointed minister of the Dickinson Circuit, which included La Marque, Hitchcock, Dickinson and League City. Warren Chapel's first church building was constructed in 1901 with lumber that had washed ashore in the aftermath of the 1900 storm. Warren served as minister until 1904, and the congregation continued to build its membership.

Winfield Chapel, founded at League City by Alex Winfield, Sr., received a donation of land about 1907 and built its first sanctuary on the site. A 1932 storm destroyed that building, and a new one was completed about 10 years later. Circuit riders held worship services for the small congregation.

In December 1966, the district superintendent called a meeting to discuss a union of these two historic churches. In June 1967, the merger of Warren Chapel and Winfield Chapel as Warren-Winfield Chapel became official. Two years later,

Faith United Methodist Church image. Click for full size.
By Jim Evans, September 26, 2012
2. Faith United Methodist Church
the church moved to its present location and consecrated as Faith United Methodist Church. With strength in its members, the church has developed significant programs of outreach, education and ministries.
Erected 2002 by Texas Historical Commission. (Marker Number 12744.)
Location. 29° 28.475′ N, 95° 4.018′ W. Marker is in Dickinson, Texas, in Galveston County. Marker is at the intersection of Avenue G and 22nd Street when traveling north on Avenue G. Click for map. Marker is in this post office area: Dickinson TX 77539, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 3 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Holy Trinity Episcopal Church (approx. 1.6 miles away); First United Methodist Church (approx. 2 miles away); The Dickinson Station of the Galveston, Houston, & Henderson Railroad Co. (approx. 2.1 miles away); League Park (approx. 2.9 miles away); Mainland Mission Churches (approx. 2.9 miles away); St. Mary Mission Church (approx. 2.9 miles away); First Baptist Church (approx. 3 miles away); T.J. and Mary Lelia Dick House (approx. 3 miles away). Click for a list of all markers in Dickinson.
Categories. African AmericansChurches, Etc.
Credits. This page originally submitted on , by Jim Evans of Houston, Texas. This page has been viewed 226 times since then and 46 times this year. Photos:   1, 2. submitted on , by Jim Evans of Houston, Texas. • Bill Pfingsten was the editor who published this page. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016.
Paid Advertisement