“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Shoreacres in Harris County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)

Houston Yacht Club

Houston Yacht Club Marker image. Click for full size.
By Jim Evans, September 28, 2012
1. Houston Yacht Club Marker
Inscription. The Houston Yacht Club was organized in 1897 by a group of prominent citizens. Members met in the Binz Building in downtown Houston and were led by the first Commodore, Dan E. Kennedy. After Kennedy's death in 1904, the boatmen reorganized as the Houston Yacht and Power Boat Club, receiving a charter from the State of Texas in 1905. Financial difficulties forced the group to reorganize, and the Houston Launch Club was formed in 1906. A clubhouse designed by architect R.D. Steele, was completed on Buffalo Bayou in 1910. The members moved to a new Spanish mission clubhouse designed by architect Wyatt Hedrick in 1927, and retained the Houston Yacht Club name.

The club began hosting regattas in the early 1900s and has hosted local, regional, national and world championships. Members have raced in all levels of competition, including the Olympics.

Although primarily a private boating club, the organization has supported community activities and was active in the development of the ship channel. During time of war, members have offered their crafts for service, and have helped patrol the ship channel, bay and Gulf. The clubhouse has served as a refuge for area residents during natural disasters.
Erected 1997 by Texas Historical Commission. (Marker Number 10699.)
Houston Yacht Club image. Click for full size.
By Jim Evans, September 28, 2012
2. Houston Yacht Club
Marker is to the left of the exit
29° 37.064′ N, 95° 0.134′ W. Marker is in Shoreacres, Texas, in Harris County. Marker is at the intersection of Baywood Street and Miramar Drive, on the right when traveling north on Baywood Street. Click for map. The marker is outside the yacht club on the left of the entrance. Marker is at or near this postal address: 3620Miramar Dr, La Porte TX 77571, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 4 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Captain William Plunkett Harris (approx. 1.6 miles away); Prehistoric Indian Campsite (approx. 1.8 miles away); Saint Mary's Seminary (approx. 2.7 miles away); La Porte (approx. 2.8 miles away); Ritson Morris and Elmwood Plantation (approx. 3.4 miles away); Gribble-Hofheinz House (approx. 3.4 miles away); First City Hall and Jail (approx. 3.5 miles away); Governor Ross Sterling Mansion (approx. 3.6 miles away).
Also see . . .  Houston Yacht Club Website. (Submitted on September 28, 2012, by Jim Evans of Houston, Texas.)
Categories. Fraternal or Sororal OrganizationsSports
Flag in the yacht club image. Click for full size.
By Jim Evans, August 30, 2013
3. Flag in the yacht club
Credits. This page originally submitted on , by Jim Evans of Houston, Texas. This page has been viewed 243 times since then and 52 times this year. Photos:   1, 2. submitted on , by Jim Evans of Houston, Texas.   3. submitted on , by Jim Evans of Houston, Texas. • Bernard Fisher was the editor who published this page. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016.
Paid Advertisement