Phenix City in Russell County, Alabama — The American South (East South Central)
During the attack by Federal troops under Major General James H. Wilson on April 16, 1865, the fort and other outer defenses were not manned due to lack of Confederate manpower.
Erected 1988 by The Historic Chattahoochee Commission and the Russell County Historical Commission.
Location. 32° 28.947′ N, 85° 1.876′ W. Marker is in Phenix City, Alabama, in Russell County. Marker is on U.S. 80/280 near Stadium Drive, on the right when traveling south. Click for map. Marker is in this post office area: Phenix City AL 36867, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 3 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Allen Temple A.M.E. Church / Grant Chapel A.M.E. Church (approx. 1.4 miles away); Union Night Attack Down Summerville Road (approx. 1.4 miles away); Red Hill Batteries Albert Love Patterson (approx. 2 miles away); Before The Battle / Battle Of Girard (approx. 2 miles away); Ancient Fisheries (approx. 2.1 miles away); The Tie-Snake (approx. 2.2 miles away); Horace King (approx. 2.2 miles away). Click for a list of all markers in Phenix City.
Also see . . . Fort #5 nomination form for National Register of Historic Places. (Submitted on March 10, 2015, by J. Makali Bruton of Querétaro, Mexico.)
Categories. • War, US Civil •
Credits. This page originally submitted on , by Mike Stroud of Bluffton, South Carolina. This page has been viewed 748 times since then and 9 times this year. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on , by Mike Stroud of Bluffton, South Carolina. 3. submitted on , by Mark Hilton of Montgomery, Alabama. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016.