Old Mill Creek
The Complex later included a grist mill, an orchard, a blacksmith shop, a warehouse and several homes. Michael Dousman purchased the site in 1819 and continued to operate the mill until 1839. By 1867 the buildings were gone and the site had fallen into disrepair. In 1975 the Mackinac Island State Park Commission acquired the site. It opened its recreated working sawmill to the public in 1984.
Erected 1985 by Michigan History Division, Department of State. (Marker Number 1154.)
Marker series. This marker is included in the Michigan Historical Commission marker series.
Location. 45° 44.682′ N, 84° 40.25′ W. Marker is in Mackinaw City, Michigan, in Cheboygan County. Marker can be reached from Old Mackinaw Road 0.2 miles east of U.S. 23. Click for map. Marker is located just off US route 23 on Old Mackinaw Road, near entrance to Old Mill Creek Michigan State Historic
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 8 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Island-Hopping the Straits (approx. 3.7 miles away); Old Mackinac Point Lighthouse (approx. 4.1 miles away); Fort Michilimackinac (approx. 4.2 miles away); Mackinac Bridge (approx. 4.2 miles away); Round Island Lighthouse (approx. 7.5 miles away); American Fur Company Store (approx. 7.8 miles away); Sainte Anne Church (approx. 7.8 miles away); Mission Church (approx. 7.9 miles away). Click for a list of all markers in Mackinaw City.
Also see . . . Historic Mill Creek Discovery Park. (Submitted on October 4, 2012, by Bill Pfingsten of Bel Air, Maryland.)
Categories. • Industry & Commerce • Settlements & Settlers • War, US Revolutionary •
Credits. This page originally submitted on , by Cosmos Mariner of Cape Canaveral, Florida. This page has been viewed 496 times since then and 5 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12. submitted on , by Cosmos Mariner of Cape Canaveral, Florida. • Bill Pfingsten was the editor who published this page. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016.