Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Near Richmond Hill in Bryan County, Georgia — The American South (South Atlantic)
 

Richard J. Arnold

 
 
Richard J. Arnold Marker Photo, Click for full size
By David Seibert, September 26, 2012
1. Richard J. Arnold Marker
Inscription. Richard James Arnold (1796-1873) acquired nearby White Hall Plantation through his marriage in 1823 to Louisa Gindrat. A Rhode Island native, Arnold invested heavily in White Hall for the cultivation of cotton and in his Cherry Hill and Mulberry tracts further up the Ogeechee River on which he became the most prosperous rice planter in the region. By 1860 Arnold was the largest landowner in Bryan County, with over 15,000 acres and 195 slaves. Arnold was an innovative planter, regarded as being well advanced for his times in terms of his business concepts, his application of scientific principles to his agricultural methods and techniques and his philosophy of plantation and slave management.
 
Erected 2012 by Coastal Bryan Heritage Trail.
 
Location. 31° 53.15′ N, 81° 15.15′ W. Marker is near Richmond Hill, Georgia, in Bryan County. Marker is at the intersection of Fort McAllister Road (Georgia Route 144 Spur) and White Hall Lane, on the left when traveling east on Fort McAllister Road. Click for map. Marker is in this post office area: Richmond Hill GA 31324, United States of America.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 2 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Fort McAllister (approx. 0.6 miles away); Kilpatrick on Bryan Neck
Richard J. Arnold Marker Photo, Click for full size
By David Seibert, September 26, 2012
2. Richard J. Arnold Marker
Looking west: Fort McAllister Road (Georgia Highway 144 Spur) is to the left, and White Hall Lane in the background.
(approx. 0.6 miles away); Burnt Church Cemetery (approx. 0.7 miles away); George W. McAllister (approx. mile away); The Clay Family of Bryan Neck (approx. mile away); George Washington Carver School (approx. 1.1 miles away); Bryan Neck Missionary Baptist Church (approx. 1.1 miles away); Hardwicke (approx. 1.3 miles away). Click for a list of all markers in Richmond Hill.
 
Categories. Agriculture
 
Richard J. Arnold Marker Photo, Click for full size
By David Seibert, September 26, 2012
3. Richard J. Arnold Marker
Looking east on Fort McAllister Road (Georgia Highway 144 Spur) toward Fort McAllister.
White Hall Plantation Site Photo, Click for full size
By David Seibert, September 26, 2012
4. White Hall Plantation Site
The house at White Hall Plantation burned in 1914.
Folly Farms Plantation Photo, Click for full size
By David Seibert, November 14, 2002
5. Folly Farms Plantation
Arnold purchased a tract adjoining White Hall in 1824, and built this house, originally called Myrtle Grove, in 1850. In 1871 Arnold conveyed Myrtle Grove to his granddaughter. The tract and house passed through other hands, and in 1920 was renamed Folly Farms. It is privately owned, and not open to the public.
 
 
Credits. This page originally submitted on , by David Seibert of Sandy Springs, Georgia. This page has been viewed 433 times since then and 99 times this year. Photos:   1, 2, 3, 4, 5. submitted on , by David Seibert of Sandy Springs, Georgia. • Craig Swain was the editor who published this page. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016.
Paid Advertisement