Downers Grove in Du Page County, Illinois — The American Midwest (Great Lakes)
Main Street Cemetery
As a result of Henry Carpenter's wish for a proper burial ground in Downers Grove, Samuel Curtiss donated a part of his sheep pasture for a cemetery. He later was paid $15 for the land, collected from people who formed a cemetery association. Plots were sold for $5. Each plot contained five or six grave sites. Many plots were never sold.
The first interment in the cemetery was in 1856 and the cemetery continued as a burial ground for the community of Downers Grove until 1939.
This cemetery is the final resting place for many of the members of the Village's founding families, mothers and fathers, babies and children, Civil War soldiers, a veteran of the War of 1812 and a former slave. Both Henry Carpenter and Samuel Curtiss and their families are buried here.
Main Street Cemetery has the rare distinction of being one of very few cemeteries in the country remaining in a downtown business district.
Main Street Cemetery is maintained by the Village of Downers Grove with the stewardship of the Downers Grove Historical Society.
Location. Click for map. The markers are in a wooden arch on the west side of the cemetery, facing an access road. Marker is in this post office area: Downers Grove IL 60515, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 7 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. A different marker also named Main Street Cemetery (within shouting distance of this marker); Farmer's and Merchant's Bank Building (about 400 feet away, measured in a direct line); Masonic Temple (approx. 0.2 miles away); The Indian Boundary Line (approx. 0.3 miles away); Ben Fuller House (approx. 4.7 miles away); Mammoth Spring (approx. 5.3 miles away); Glen Ellyn Main Street Historic District (approx. 6.7 miles away); Fort Payne (approx. 7.1 miles away). Click for a list of all markers in Downers Grove.
Categories. • Cemeteries & Burial Sites •
Credits. This page originally submitted on . This page has been viewed 404 times since then and 69 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on . • Bill Pfingsten was the editor who published this page. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016.