Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Frost in Navarro County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)
 

Frost

 
 
Frost Marker image. Click for full size.
By Mike Stroud, September 15, 2012
1. Frost Marker
Inscription. Prior to 1887 the community of Cross Roads existed two miles south of this location. The town of Frost was created when a post office was established in March of that year to serve settlements west of Corsicana along the St. Louis, Arkansas, and Texas Railroad. Businesses previously located at Cross Roads moved to the new town. Land for the townsite was donated by R. J. Sanders and the town was named in honor of Samuel R. Frost (1846-1908), Navarro County judge and state legislator. The city of Frost was incorporated on June 7, 1893. Churches of several denominations and schools were organized in the early years of Frost's existence. A Methodist church was established in 1887, and three years later the Frost Baptist Church was organized. The Frost Common School District was created in May 1890. Two banks opened in Frost in the early 1900s and a newspaper, the Frost Enterprise, was published weekly. Many of the town's structures were destroyed or damaged in a May 6, 1930 tornado. Since its beginning Frost has remained an agricultural community, and retains the charm and atmosphere of a rural Texas town.
 
Erected 1987 by Texas Historical Commission. (Marker Number 7201.)
 
Location. 32° 4.707′ N, 96° 48.395′ 
Frost Marker image. Click for full size.
By Mike Stroud, September 15, 2012
2. Frost Marker
In celebration of
Frost, Texas centennial
time capsule
buried here for 50 years
June 13, 1987
W. Marker is in Frost, Texas, in Navarro County. Marker is on Garitty Street (Farm to Market Road 667) near South Front Street, on the right when traveling south. Click for map. Marker is in this post office area: Frost TX 76641, United States of America.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 5 other markers are within 10 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Frost Baptist Church (approx. 0.2 miles away); Mertens Baptist Church (approx. 5.4 miles away); Old Brandon Mill (approx. 9.3 miles away); Barry Baptist Church (approx. 10.1 miles away); Barry (approx. 10.1 miles away).
 
Categories. Notable Places
 
Frost Marker, looking north along Garitty Street image. Click for full size.
By Mike Stroud, September 15, 2012
3. Frost Marker, looking north along Garitty Street
 
 
Credits. This page originally submitted on , by Mike Stroud of Bluffton, South Carolina. This page has been viewed 305 times since then and 27 times this year. Photos:   1, 2, 3. submitted on , by Mike Stroud of Bluffton, South Carolina. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016.
Paid Advertisement