“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Solomons in Calvert County, Maryland — The American Northeast (Mid-Atlantic)

Wm. B. Tennison

Wm. B. Tennison Marker image. Click for full size.
By Don Morfe, March 11, 2012
1. Wm. B. Tennison Marker
Inscription. Wm. B. Tennison was built in 1899 by Frank Laird at Crab Island near Oriole, Maryland. Her hull is constructed in traditional Chesapeake log canoe fashion-nine large pine logs. Hollowed out and fastened together. She was built as a two-mastered bugeye and designed mainly for oyster dredging. In 1906-1907 the Tennison was converted to engine power and her sailing rig was removed and a pilothouse added. This is how she appears today.

From 1907 until 1978 the Tennison earned her living as a buyboat, hauling oysters and dredging on leased oyster beds. For much of that time she was owned by the J. C. Lore and Sons Company of Solomons. She was acquired by the Calvert Marine Museum in 1979 from Alton Kersey, her last owner.

Wm. B. Tennison today serves as a floating exhibit and tour boat and has become a symbol of the maritime heritage of Calvert County. She is listed on the National Register of Historic Places and in 1994 was designated a National Historic Landmark.

Wm. B. Tennison offers narrated one-hour tour of Solomons harbor and nearby Patuxent River, Wednesday-Sunday, including holidays, from May through October. Space is available on a first-come, first-served basis. A maximum of 45 passengers can be carried.

The Chesapeake Bay Buy-Boat
Wm. Tennison
Built 1899
Crab Island, Maryland
Wm. B. Tennison Marker image. Click for full size.
By Don Morfe, March 11, 2012
2. Wm. B. Tennison Marker
been a designated a
National Historic Landmark
This vessel possesses National Significance in
commemorating the history of the United States of America.
National Park Service
United States Department of the Interior

Marker series. This marker is included in the National Historic Landmarks marker series.
Location. 38° 19.872′ N, 76° 27.792′ W. Marker is in Solomons, Maryland, in Calvert County. Marker is on Solomons Island Road, South. Click for map. Located on the grounds of the Calvert Marine Museum. Marker is at or near this postal address: 14200 Solomons Island Road, South, Solomons MD 20688, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Drum Point Lighthouse (a few steps from this marker); Menace on the Horizon (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); Marine Railway Gears (about 300 feet away); a different marker also named Drum Point Lighthouse (about 500 feet away); Calvert County (about 800 feet away); Perils along the Patuxent (approx. 0.2 miles away); Solomon's Island (approx. mile away); Apt Anchorage (approx. 0.3 miles away). Click for a list of all markers in Solomons.
Also see . . .  William B. Tennison - National Historic Landmark NPS
Wm. B. Tennison Marker image. Click for full size.
By Don Morfe, March 11, 2012
3. Wm. B. Tennison Marker
. (Submitted on October 12, 2012, by Bill Pfingsten of Bel Air, Maryland.)
Categories. Waterways & Vessels
Credits. This page originally submitted on , by Don Morfe of Baltimore, Md 21234. This page has been viewed 249 times since then and 46 times this year. Photos:   1, 2, 3. submitted on , by Don Morfe of Baltimore, Md 21234. • Bill Pfingsten was the editor who published this page. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016.
Paid Advertisement