[The Covered Market]
The Covered Market
On this site was a Romanesque church (XIth century) dedicated to St. Felix. At the foot of the church : the cemetery of the poor. This was the place chosen by Raymond Trencavelm last Viscount of Beziers, to announce to the public that assignment was King of France from its Viscount (1247).
The St. Felix church was destroyed in 1815. On the location of the cemetery was built in 1855 a column surmounted by a statue of the Immaculate Conception (after the apparitions of Lourdes). They were demolished
Ten years later, remodeled, the covered market welcomes a new city (2800 m), on the occasion of major urban works undertaken by the municipality of Alphonse Mas in this area, with the digging of major public routes : Republic, Flourens, and National Streets and Avenue de la Gare.
Location. 43° 20.622′ N, 3° 12.729′ E. Marker is in Beziers, Languedoc-Roussillon, in Hérault Départment. Marker is on Rue Paul Riquet. Click for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 7 Rue Paul Riquet, Beziers, Languedoc-Roussillon 34500, France.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Pepezuc (about 120 meters away, measured in a direct line); Hôtel de Ville (about 150 meters away); La Chapelle des Recollets (approx. 0.3 kilometers away); Béziers Se Souvient (approx. 0.3 kilometers away); Beziers Citizens Murdered (approx. 0.3 kilometers away); Pierre Paul Riquet (approx. half a kilometer away); Ici Naquit Beziers (approx. 0.9 kilometers away); [Gare du Beziers] (approx. one kilometer away). Click for a list of all markers in Beziers.
Categories. • Industry & Commerce •
Credits. This page originally submitted on , by Barry Swackhamer of San Jose, California. This page has been viewed 305 times since then and 19 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6. submitted on , by Barry Swackhamer of San Jose, California. • Bill Pfingsten was the editor who published this page. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016.