Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Albi in Tarn Département, Midi-Pyrénées, France
 

Le bourg Saint-Salvi

 
 
Le bourg Saint-Salvi Marker image. Click for full size.
By Barry Swackhamer, September 23, 2012
1. Le bourg Saint-Salvi Marker
Inscription. Le bourg Saint-Salvi Ce bourg s’est développé aux XIe – Xlle siècles autour de la collégiale Saint-Salvi, à partir d’un anneau de rues commerçantes et artisanales, appelé en occitan «roda de la plassa» , la roue de la place. Le nom occitan de certaines rues évoque ces anciennes activités pelissaria (rues de fourreurs), cotelaria (rue de la courtellerie), sabatar (rue des savetiers), galinaria (rue des vendeurs de poules), payrolaria (rue des chaudronniers). L’ensemble de maisons qui entourent la collégiale, « la Canourgue» , était constituré par les demeures des chanoines de Saint-Salvi. Les rues principales, qui s’étirent vers le Vigan et vers la place Lapérouse, sont quant à elles bordées d’hôtel particuliers des XVIe, XVIIe et XVIIIe siècles. La rue Mariès qui unit la place de la cathédrale aux lices et à la place du Vigan, marque l’influence haussmaniennne du XIXe siecle; c’est aujourd’hui l’une des principales artères commerçantes d’Albi. À proximité de l’ancienne roue de la place, un autre lieu de flânerie est à découvir avec la halle du marché, édifiée en 1905 à partir de plans d’André Michelin, où les étals colorés invitent à la découverte des spécialités locales.

English:
Bourg Saint-Salvi
This suburb developed in the 11th-12th centuries around Saint-Salvi collegiate church, expanding outwards

Le bourg Saint-Salvi Marker image. Click for full size.
By Barry Swackhamer, September 23, 2012
2. Le bourg Saint-Salvi Marker
from a ring of shop-filled streets called “roda de la plassa” in Occitan, or “the wheel of the square”.

The Occitan names for certain streets recall the activities for which they were known: Pelissara (furriers), Cotelaria (cutlery), Sabataria (cobblers), Galinaria (chicken traders), Payrolaria (boilermakers).

The set of housed that surround the church, called the “Canourgue”, was once the residence of the Saint-Salvia cannons. The main streets, which lead to Vigan and Place Lapérouse, are lined with private mansions built during the 16th, 17th and 18th centuries. Rue Marrès, which connects Place de la cathédrale to the Lices (bailey walls), and the Place due Vigan, is an example of 19th century Haussmanisation (rationalised town planning); today it is one of Albi’s main commercial thoroughfares.

Near the “wheel of the square” lies another nice place for a stroll, the covered market. Built in 1905 from plans by Andre Michelin, the coloured stalls provide an inviting atmosphere for visitors to discover local specialties.

Spanish:
Bourg Saint-Salvi
El barrio de Saint Salvi se desarrolló en los siglos XI y XII en torno a la colegiata, a partir de la roda de la plassa o rueda de la plaza, un núcleo de calles de mercaderes y artesanos.
Las calles llevaban el nombre occitano del gremio que las ocupaba:

Place du Cloitre Saint-Salvi image. Click for full size.
By Barry Swackhamer, September 23, 2012
3. Place du Cloitre Saint-Salvi
pellisaria (peleteros), cotelaria (cuchilleros), sabataria (zapateros remendones), galinaria (vendedores de gallinas), payrolaria (caldereros).
La canourgue, el conjunto formado por las casas que rodeaban la colegiata, que se extienden hacia las plazas du Vigan y de Lapérouse, están flanqueadas por casas señoriales de los siglos XVI, XVII y XVIII.
La rue Mariés, que comunica la plaza de la catedral con la plaza de Vigan y sus inmediaciones, es un ejemplo de modernización urbanística del siglo XIX. En la actualidad, es una de las principales calles comerciales de Albi.
Cerca de la Antigua roda de la plasse, el Mercado de abastos, construido en 1905 según los planos de André Michelin, invita a perderse entre los coloridos puestos y degustar los productos típicos de la región.
 
Erected by Ville d’Albi.
 
Location. 43° 55.688′ N, 2° 8.7′ E. Marker is in Albi, Midi-Pyrénées, in Tarn Département. Marker is on Place du Cloître Saint-Salvy just from Rue Maries. Click for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 29 Place du Cloître Saint-Salvy, Albi, Midi-Pyrénées 81000, France.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Le Castelnau (about 90 meters away, measured in a direct line); L’hôtel Séré de Rivières (about 120
Place du Cloitre Saint-Salvi image. Click for full size.
By Barry Swackhamer, September 23, 2012
4. Place du Cloitre Saint-Salvi
meters away); Hôtel de Fenasse (about 150 meters away); Hôtel Reynes (about 150 meters away); Le palais de la Berbie (about 150 meters away); La Temporalité (about 180 meters away); Les berges du Tarn (about 180 meters away); a different marker also named Le palais de la Berbie (approx. 0.2 kilometers away). Click for a list of all markers in Albi.
 
Categories. Notable Places
 
L'eglise collegiale Saint-Salvi image. Click for full size.
By Barry Swackhamer, September 23, 2012
5. L'eglise collegiale Saint-Salvi
 
 
Credits. This page originally submitted on , by Barry Swackhamer of San Jose, California. This page has been viewed 341 times since then and 12 times this year. Photos:   1, 2, 3, 4, 5. submitted on , by Barry Swackhamer of San Jose, California. • Bill Pfingsten was the editor who published this page. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016.
Paid Advertisement