Wallisville in Chambers County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)
Site of Old Wallisville
Settled in 1825 by Elisha H. R. Wallis, a pioneer from Georgia, on land in grant of Joseph Vehlein, a contractor working to place colonists in Texas.
Chambers County was organized 1858; Wallisville was made county seat. A post office was granted in 1859, and town became a thriving retail market.
Many county records were burned in a courthouse fire in 1875. A brick and stone courthouse, with a jail and an unique hanging tower (for executions) was completed in 1886. By 1900 the town had 728 people, a shipyard, a lumber yard, a cotton gin, a skating rink, several stores and an export house. By land, there was daily hack service to Liberty; and sloops made regular runs from here to Galveston.
Chambers County's first newspaper, “Wallisville Age”, was published here. The town remained county seat until 1908 when the courthouse was moved to Anahuac after the famous “County Seat Hog War” over issue of letting animals roam at large. In that year Wallisville lost few people, but in 1915 a storm almost destroyed the town.
Part of the historic townsite is now included in Wallisville Reservoir, constructed by the United States Army Corps of Engineers.
Erected 1968 by State Historical Survey Committee. (Marker Number 9138.)
Location. Click for map. Marker may be visible from I-10, but is best viewed from the eastbound feeder road. Marker is in this post office area: Wallisville TX 77597, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 7 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Mission Nuestra Seņora de la Luz (within shouting distance of this marker); Joseph Blancpain's French Trading Post (within shouting distance of this marker); Mission Nuestra Senora de la Luz del Orcoquisac and Presidio San Agustin de Ahumada (within shouting distance of this marker); Turtle Bayou Resolutions (approx. 5 miles away); Chambers County Youth Project Show (approx. 5.2 miles away); Fort Anahuac (approx. 6.4 miles away); Robert McAlpin Williamson (approx. 6.4 miles away); a different marker also named Fort Anahuac (approx. 6.4 miles away). Click for a list of all markers in Wallisville.
Also see . . .
1. Old Wallisville. (Submitted on October 16, 2012, by Jim Evans of Houston, Texas.)
2. Wallisville in the Texas Handbook. (Submitted on October 16, 2012, by Jim Evans of Houston, Texas.)
Categories. • Settlements & Settlers •
Credits. This page originally submitted on , by Jim Evans of Houston, Texas. This page has been viewed 273 times since then and 5 times this year. Photos: 1. submitted on , by Jim Evans of Houston, Texas. 2. submitted on , by Jim Evans of Houston, Texas. • Bernard Fisher was the editor who published this page. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016.