Newkirk in Kay County, Oklahoma — The American South (West South Central)
First National Bank
This Roman Classic structure with a corner recessed entry and simple columns was built in 1899. The building was originally known as the Dilday building and is constructed with native limestone secured a few miles east of Newkirk. John Pierce had the stonework contract. The real estate offices of J.H. Strain and the Farmer's State Bank were both housed in this building in October of 1899.
The First National Bank with Porter Willis Smith as President purchased the building in 1903, but the bank did not move here until June 15, 1907. Leighton, an Oklahoma City architect, drew the plans which significantly altered the building so that it appears as it does today. In addition to the classical native stone columns which flank the front, the bank featured a mosaic floor, and hand polished oak fixtures. The circular steel safe arrived in May of 1907 and was placed in the vault by Wash Ward. The First National Bank was absorbed by Eastman National in 1933.
During the late 1940s and early 1950s Dr. William MacDonald's clinic was located on the second floor of this building, and many Newkirk babies were born in this building at that time.
The Newkirk Chamber of Commerce, the Newkirk Tag Agency, Laport's Jewelry, and G. N. "Mickey" Walker's Insurance and Real Estate moved into the building in 1950.
Location. 36° 52.954′ N, 97° 3.229′ W. Marker is in Newkirk, Oklahoma, in Kay County. Marker is at the intersection of Main Street (U.S. 77) and 7th Street, on the left when traveling north on Main Street. Click for map. Marker is in this post office area: Newkirk OK 74647, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Cherokee Allotments (a few steps from this marker); The Cline Building (within shouting distance of this marker); Fire of 1901 (within shouting distance of this marker); Newkirk (within shouting distance of this marker); Newkirk Kay County Fair (within shouting distance of this marker); Oklahoma State Centennial 1907 - 2007 (within shouting distance of this marker); Kay County Abstract Building (within shouting distance of this marker); Land of Hope (about 500 feet away, measured in a direct line). Click for a list of all markers in Newkirk.
Also see . . .
1. The History of Newkirk, Oklahoma. (Submitted on October 22, 2012, by William Fischer, Jr. of Scranton, Pennsylvania.)
2. Newkirk, Oklahoma. (Submitted on October 22, 2012, by William Fischer, Jr. of Scranton, Pennsylvania.)
Categories. • Industry & Commerce • Man-Made Features • Science & Medicine •
Credits. This page originally submitted on , by William Fischer, Jr. of Scranton, Pennsylvania. This page has been viewed 299 times since then and 11 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on , by William Fischer, Jr. of Scranton, Pennsylvania. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016.