Redwood City in San Mateo County, California — The American West (Pacific Coastal)
Fire Station No. 1
The original old firehouse, now the center of two wing additions with its arched central openings, loggia and classical ornamental details, is one of the best examples of Italian Renaissance style buildings in the area. The tile brickwork is distinctive and reflective of Italian traditions of fine masonry. The architect adopted an Italian villa design to suit an institutional purpose. The three arched doorways of stone provided the exits for the fire trucks. Two rondels with “R.C.” and “F.D.” still exist between the arches.
When the building suffered structural damage from the 1984 Coalinga earthquake, the Fire Department moved to temporary quarters until a permanent station was built at 755 Marshall St., which was dedicated in 1987.
The former Fire Station No. 1 was remodeled and expanded to house the Redwood City Main Library in 1989.
Erected by Redwood City Historical Resources Advisory Committee.
Location. 37° 29.044′ N, 122° 13.638′ W. Marker is in Redwood City, California, in San Mateo County. Marker is Click for map. The marker is on the sidewalk on the east side of the property where you cross the parking lot driveway. Marker is at or near this postal address: 1044 Middlefield Road, Redwood City CA 94063, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Diller's Island (here, next to this marker); Redwood City War Memorial (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); Alhambra Theater (about 800 feet away); Embarcadero Turning Basin Site (approx. 0.2 miles away); Eureka Corner (approx. 0.2 miles away); Sequoia Union High School (approx. 0.2 miles away); Former Site of Sequoia High School (approx. 0.2 miles away); Diller-Chamberlain Gen. Store/American Hotel-American House/Sequoia Hotel/Bank of San Mateo County (approx. 0.2 miles away). Click for a list of all markers in Redwood City.
Also see . . . History of the Redwood City Fire Department. In 1936 the volunteer firemen began to receive pay for responding to fires. At this time the Department had six full time firemen. (Submitted on October 23, 2012.)
Categories. • Notable Buildings •
Credits. This page originally submitted on , by James King of San Miguel, California. This page has been viewed 271 times since then. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on , by James King of San Miguel, California. • Syd Whittle was the editor who published this page. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016.