Winfield in Cowley County, Kansas — The American Midwest (Upper Plains)
Platting of Winﬁeld, Kansas
This corner marks the spot where in 1869 Colonel E. C. Manning placed the stake from which the City of Winfield was laid out. The first building in Winfield, Colonel Winfield's old log store, stood on this corner. In 1885, Henry Goldsmith acquired the property where it remained a book store for a period of 32 years. In 1917 the State Bank purchased the lot and built the first 25 by 70 feet of this building. The expansions of the State Bank in 1927 and 1989 have resulted in the current building.
Erected by Winfield Main Street & Cowley County Historical Society.
Location. 37° 14.426′ N, 96° 59.842′ W. Marker is in Winfield, Kansas, in Cowley County. Marker is at the intersection of Main Street (U.S. 77) and 9th Avenue (U.S. 160), on the left when traveling north on Main Street. Click for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 823 Main Street, Winfield KS 67156, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 6 other markers are within 12 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Cowley County National Bank Building (within shouting distance of this marker); Jennings Building (within shouting distance of this marker); Robert Docking 1996 Olympic Torch Relay (approx. 12 miles away); Korean War Liberty Tree Memorial (approx. 12 miles away); Santa Fe Locomotive Engine No. 2542 (approx. 12 miles away).
Also see . . . History of Winfield, Kansas. (Submitted on October 24, 2012, by William Fischer, Jr. of Fort Scott, Kansas.)
Categories. • Industry & Commerce • Settlements & Settlers •
Credits. This page originally submitted on , by William Fischer, Jr. of Fort Scott, Kansas. This page has been viewed 264 times since then and 60 times this year. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on , by William Fischer, Jr. of Fort Scott, Kansas. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016.