Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Rockport in Aransas County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)
 

The Cedars

 
 
The Cedars Marker image. Click for full size.
By Norman Frank, October 27, 2012
1. The Cedars Marker
Inscription. Tourism has been a major part of the Rockport economy for generations, but in the 1920s and 1930s with the rise of the automobile, more visitors began to travel to the area. The Cedars, built in 1928 by Dr. Joe and Mabel Bryant, became a popular tourist destination with seven “resort houses” on the property. The property was sold to H.M. Daggett in 1929. Stanley Daggett, his son, and his wife, Flossie, gained the property in 1930 and added two cottages. Annual gatherings of fishing and birding organizations and groups of families were a common practice and brought in many visitors to the Cedars. Originally there were outhouses, iceboxes, hot plates and a windmill but soon small bathrooms were attached to each cottage. By the late 1940s, the cottages offered hot and cold running water, gas stoves, refrigerators and clothes lines.

In 1946 Miss Ethel Jones who lived in San Antonio purchased the property and hired an on-site manager. After retiring to the property in 1964, she sold the Cedars to her nephew, Charles Stevens, in 1971. Guests from Texas and out of state continued to visit the Cedars. In 1973, Stevens sold the property to a group of eight families, organized by the Robertsons, known as the Rockport Cedars Association (RCA). Each family retained a cottage and the center space became common ground. Traditions
View of Sign and Marker with the Cedars in the background image. Click for full size.
By Norman Frank, October 27, 2012
2. View of Sign and Marker with the Cedars in the background
at the Cedars continued as these families and others enjoyed the coast and worked together for the annual “pier review,” an event when the pier and T-head are repaired. This cultural landmark represents economic growth and tourism in Rockport, and continues to attract families to the beautiful Texas coast.
175 years of Texas independence • 1836 2011
Marker is property of the State of Texas

 
Erected 2012 by Texas Historical Commission. (Marker Number 16784.)
 
Location. 28° 0.686′ N, 97° 3.291′ W. Marker is in Rockport, Texas, in Aransas County. Marker is on Water Street 0.1 miles south of East King Street, on the right when traveling south. Click for map. South Water Street is one-way going south. Marker is at or near this postal address: 1203 S. Water Street, Rockport TX 78382, United States of America.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. The Old Beach Road (approx. 0.3 miles away); The Hagar’s Rockport Cottages (approx. 0.3 miles away); Baylor-Norvell House (approx. half a mile away); Site of Heldenfels Shipyard (approx. 0.6 miles away); Mathis House
Cedars Marker Dedication in the 10/24/2012 Rockport Pilot image. Click for full size.
By Norman Frank, October 27, 2012
3. Cedars Marker Dedication in the 10/24/2012 Rockport Pilot
Sponsored by the Aransas County Historical Society
(approx. 0.6 miles away); Shipyards in Rockport (approx. 0.6 miles away); Sorenson-Stair Building (approx. 0.7 miles away); Moore House (approx. 0.7 miles away). Click for a list of all markers in Rockport.
 
Additional keywords. Aransas County Historical Society
 
Categories. Landmarks
 
 
Credits. This page originally submitted on . This page has been viewed 506 times since then and 8 times this year. Photos:   1, 2, 3. submitted on , by Norman Frank of Rockport, Texas. • Bernard Fisher was the editor who published this page. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016.
Paid Advertisement