Wichita in Sedgwick County, Kansas — The American Midwest (Upper Plains)
Spanish-American War Memorial
Dedicated 1901 - Re-dedicated 2007
This cannon was captured in the Spanish-American war in the year 1898, was presented by the United States to the state of Kansas, and assigned to Wichita by Gov. W.E. Stanley, June 15th 1900.
This Cannon accepted by mayor Finlay Ross, Aug. 6th, 1900 on behalf of the citizens of Wichita, and assigned to Riverside Park and located by park commissioners C.L. Davidson, G.M. Dickson, B.F. McLain
Erected 1901 by Lawton Camp No. 18, United Spanish War Veterans, and Citizens.
Location. 37° 41.845′ N, 97° 20.957′ W. Marker is in Wichita, Kansas, in Sedgwick County. Marker is on Murdock Street near Nims Street, on the right when traveling east. Click for map. Memorial is in Central Riverside Park. Marker is in this post office area: Wichita KS 67203, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. 1854 Treaty Oration Excerpt (approx. 0.3 miles away); Confluence of the Big and Little Arkansas Rivers (approx. 0.3 miles away); It Happened Right Under Our Noses (approx. 0.4 miles away); Chiefs Way of the Horse (approx. 0.4 miles away); Eagles (approx. 0.4 miles away); Ceremonial Pipes (approx. 0.4 miles away); Tipis (approx. 0.4 miles away). Click for a list of all markers in Wichita.
Also see . . . Cannons in the Park (Wichita Riverside Parks). (Submitted on October 27, 2012, by William Fischer, Jr. of Fort Scott, Kansas.)
Categories. • Patriots & Patriotism • War, Spanish-American •
Credits. This page originally submitted on , by William Fischer, Jr. of Fort Scott, Kansas. This page has been viewed 398 times since then. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11. submitted on , by William Fischer, Jr. of Fort Scott, Kansas. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016.