“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Halifax in Halifax County, North Carolina — The American South (South Atlantic)

The Sally Billy House

The Sally Billy House Marker image. Click for full size.
By Bernard Fisher, October 27, 2012
1. The Sally Billy House Marker
Inscription. Constructed around 1808 for a Halifax County planter named Lewis Bond, this house was originally located near Scotland Neck. In 1834, William “Billy” Ruffin Smith Sr. and his wife Sarah, or “Sally” bought it. Smith, a county court justice, died in 1845, leaving an estate of 12,000 acres and 266 enslaved people.

After Smith’s death, the house changed owners several times until it was given to the Historical Halifax Restoration Association in 1972. The Association moved it to Historic Halifax and gave it to the State of North Carolina. It opened to the public in 1976.

The house is an example of the tripartite houses often produced by Halifax County planters in the late eighteenth and nineteenth centuries. Rich in decorative detail, it consists of a pedimented, two-story central section and flanking one-story wings.
Erected by The Historical Halifax Restoration Association, Inc.
Location. 36° 19.807′ N, 77° 35.111′ W. Marker is in Halifax, North Carolina, in Halifax County. Marker is on Fishing Club Road 0.1 miles east of King Street, on the left when traveling east. Click for map. Marker is in this post office area: Halifax NC 27839, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers
The Sally Billy House image. Click for full size.
By Bernard Fisher, October 27, 2012
2. The Sally Billy House
are within walking distance of this marker. The Free Church of Halifax (about 700 feet away, measured in a direct line); Escape! (about 700 feet away); The Market Green (about 700 feet away); Montfort Archaeological Museum (about 700 feet away); Halifax Runaway Ads (about 700 feet away); Halifax Courthouse (approx. 0.2 miles away); Site of First Courthouse (approx. 0.2 miles away); Colonial Punishment (approx. 0.2 miles away). Click for a list of all markers in Halifax.
More about this marker. On the left are portraits of “Sally” Sarah Walton Norfleet Smith 1782-1870 and “Billy” William Ruffin Smith 1779-1845.

On the right are photos with the captions:
"The house as it appeared in the mid-twentieth century."
"Over time, owners made several changes to the structure. This 1969 view of the rear shows an added porch, as well as substantial deterioration."
"The house was disassembled and eventually moved to its present location, where it was reassembled in January 1976."
"Below: The dedication, Halifax Day 1976."
Also see . . .  Historic Halifax. North Carolina Historic Sites (Submitted on October 30, 2012, by Bernard Fisher of Mechanicsville, Virginia.) 
Categories. Notable Buildings
Credits. This page originally submitted on , by Bernard Fisher of Mechanicsville, Virginia. This page has been viewed 300 times since then and 74 times this year. Photos:   1, 2. submitted on , by Bernard Fisher of Mechanicsville, Virginia. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016.
Paid Advertisement