Halifax in Halifax County, North Carolina — The American South (South Atlantic)
Site of First Courthouse
Meeting of Fourth Provincial Congress
April 4,-May 15, 1776
Adoption by vote Halifax Resolves
April 12, 1776
Adoption by vote State Constitution
Dec 18, 1776
First Proclamation Declaration of Independence
August 1, 1776
Erected 1950 by N.C. State Highway and Public Works Commission, N.C. Society for Preservation of Antiquities.
Location. 36° 19.828′ N, 77° 35.291′ W. Marker is in Halifax, North Carolina, in Halifax County. Marker is on Market Street west of King Street, on the right when traveling west. Click for map. Marker is in this post office area: Halifax NC 27839, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Halifax Courthouse (here, next to this marker); Colonial Punishment (within shouting distance of this marker); Halifax Colonial Jails (within shouting distance of this marker); The Free Church of Halifax (within shouting distance of this marker); The Market Green (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); Montfort Archaeological Museum (about 300 feet away); Eagle Tavern (about 400 feet away); Early American Taverns (about 400 feet away). Click for a list of all markers in Halifax.
Categories. • Colonial Era • Settlements & Settlers •
Credits. This page originally submitted on , by Bernard Fisher of Mechanicsville, Virginia. This page has been viewed 165 times since then and 49 times this year. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on , by Bernard Fisher of Mechanicsville, Virginia. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016.