“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Halifax in Halifax County, North Carolina — The American South (South Atlantic)

The Market Green

The Market Green Marker image. Click for full size.
By Bernard Fisher, October 27, 2012
1. The Market Green Marker
Inscription. The market green played an important role in the growth and development of Halifax. The town’s original plan called for the green to take up both sides of King Street. In time, however, the courthouse, jail, and other public buildings occupied the west side of the street.

The green was a bustling center of activity in the town, especially when the court was in session and at harvest time. Farmers brought their produce from the countryside to sell at the market house, which stood opposite the colonial courthouse and jail. County fairs and other festive events, such as Independence Day celebrations, took place here.

The green was also important for the military. During the Revolution, a barracks was located there, along with a powder magazine, supply depot, and armament factory. The square was also used as a parade ground for military reviews.

The shady market green also provided an area for rest and relaxation, conservation and debate. It continued to be used as a public facility until the courthouse moved in 1848. Shortly afterwards, the lots became private property.
Erected by The Society of Colonial Wars in the State of North Carolina, Inc.
Location. 36° 19.794′ N, 77° 35.257′ 
The Market Green image. Click for full size.
By Bernard Fisher, October 27, 2012
2. The Market Green
W. Marker is in Halifax, North Carolina, in Halifax County. Marker is at the intersection of King Street and Market Street, on the right when traveling north on King Street. Click for map. Marker is in this post office area: Halifax NC 27839, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. The Free Church of Halifax (a few steps from this marker); Halifax Courthouse (within shouting distance of this marker); Site of First Courthouse (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); Colonial Punishment (about 300 feet away); Halifax Colonial Jails (about 300 feet away); The Tap Room (about 300 feet away); Eagle Tavern (about 300 feet away); Early American Taverns (about 400 feet away). Click for a list of all markers in Halifax.
More about this marker. On the upper right is map with the caption, "Above and background: A Draught of Halifax, a 1758 plat of the town." The University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill.

On the left is an "October 1777 Virginia Gazette notice for a fair that would have been held at the market green."

On the right is "A 1797 recruitment broadside similar to those that may have been posted in Halifax during the Revolution." The Library of Congress.
Also see . . .  Historic Halifax. North Carolina Historic Sites (Submitted on October 30, 2012, by Bernard Fisher of Mechanicsville, Virginia.) 
Categories. Colonial EraSettlements & SettlersWar, US Revolutionary
Credits. This page originally submitted on , by Bernard Fisher of Mechanicsville, Virginia. This page has been viewed 131 times since then and 36 times this year. Photos:   1, 2. submitted on , by Bernard Fisher of Mechanicsville, Virginia. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016.
Paid Advertisement