“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Halifax in Halifax County, North Carolina — The American South (South Atlantic)

The Owens House

The Owens House Marker image. Click for full size.
By Bernard Fisher, October 27, 2012
1. The Owens House Marker
Inscription. This Georgian style house with a gambled roof was built elsewhere about 1760 and moved here by 1880. It is named for George Owens, a prominent and prosperous Halifax merchant.

The house had many owners through the years and was occupied until 1957, when the Historical Halifax Restoration Association purchased it. With assistance from the Office of Archives and History, it was restored to its eighteenth-century appearance. In 1969, the Association transferred the house and lot ownership to the state of North Carolina.

George Owens was representative of the merchant class in Halifax during the early nineteenth century. He and others took advantage of the commercial possibilities offered by the nearby Roanoke River. Warehouses and wharfs stood near the river, where ships could load and unload goods and supplies.
Erected by The North Carolina Society Sons of the American Revolution.
Marker series. This marker is included in the Sons of the American Revolution marker series.
Location. 36° 19.838′ N, 77° 35.422′ W. Marker is in Halifax, North Carolina, in Halifax County. Marker is on Saint David Street west of Dobbs Street, on the right when traveling west. Click for map. Marker is in this post office area: Halifax NC 27839, United States of America.
Other nearby markers.
The Owens House image. Click for full size.
By Bernard Fisher, October 27, 2012
2. The Owens House
At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. William R. Davie (about 500 feet away, measured in a direct line); Halifax Colonial Jails (about 600 feet away); Colonial Punishment (about 600 feet away); Eagle Tavern (about 600 feet away); a different marker also named Eagle Tavern (about 600 feet away); Early American Taverns (about 600 feet away); "Colonial Churchyard" (about 600 feet away); Site of First Courthouse (about 600 feet away). Click for a list of all markers in Halifax.
More about this marker. On the right are photos with the captions, "Below: The Owens House in 1938." Frances Benjamin Johnston Collection, Library of Congress. and "The newly renovated Owens House was dedicated during the 1970 Halifax Day commemoration. Durham Morning Herald, April 1970."

On the bottom is "An ad from the 1830 Roanoke Advocate for the shoe and leather business operated by George Owens and his partner. In 1832, Owens became sole owner of the business and was very successful until his death in 1850."
Also see . . .  Historic Halifax. North Carolina Historic Sites (Submitted on October 30, 2012, by Bernard Fisher of Mechanicsville, Virginia.) 
Categories. Notable Buildings
Credits. This page originally submitted on , by Bernard Fisher of Mechanicsville, Virginia. This page has been viewed 165 times since then and 34 times this year. Photos:   1, 2. submitted on , by Bernard Fisher of Mechanicsville, Virginia. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016.
Paid Advertisement