HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
            “Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
  Home  — My Markers  — Add A Marker  — Marker Series  — Links & Books  — Forum  — About Us
El Paso in El Paso County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)
Dr. Lawrence A. Nixon
(1883-1966)
 
Dr. Lawrence A. Nixon Marker Photo, Click for full size
By Bill Kirchner, October 21, 2012
1. Dr. Lawrence A. Nixon Marker
 
Inscription. Dr. Lawrence Aaron Nixon was a pivotal figure in Texas civil rights. Born in Marshall, Harrison County, Texas, he attended Wiley College and Meharry Medical College and became a physician. He began his medical practice in Cameron, Milam County. In January 1910, after witnessing violent racial strife in the community, Dr. Nixon moved to El Paso. His first wife, Esther (Calvin), and their infant son subsequently joined him here. Dr. Nixon became a charter member of the El Paso chapter of the National Association for the Advancement of Colored People (NAACP).

As a political activist and registered Democrat, Dr. Nixon challenged state laws that barred African Americans from participation in that party's electoral primaries. In litigation that ultimately went before the U.S. Supreme Court in Nixon v. Herndon (1924) and Nixon v. Condon (1927), he won two landmark victories that would help secure voting rights for U.S. citizens regardless of race. The State of Texas circumvented the rulings for almost two decades, but the precedent set by Dr. Nixon was ultimately affirmed in 1944, and that year he and his second wife, Drusilla (Tandy), voted in the primaries. The couple continued to work toward the development of civil rights throughout their lifetimes.

Well-loved and respected, Dr. Nixon was considered a
 
Dr. Lawrence A. Nixon Marker Photo, Click for full size
By Bill Kirchner, October 21, 2012
2. Dr. Lawrence A. Nixon Marker
 
visionary as he sought to establish an El Paso hospital for African American tubercular patients and a cultural center for people of color. After 53 years of dedicated, distinguished medical practice, Dr. Nixon retired in 1963 and lived his remaining years in El Paso.
 
Erected 2005 by Texas Historical Commission. (Marker Number 13853.)
 
Location. 31° 46.845′ N, 106° 27.348′ W. Marker is in El Paso, Texas, in El Paso County. Marker is at the intersection of East Wyoming Avenue and North Cebada Street, on the right when traveling west on East Wyoming Avenue. Click for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 3231 East Wyoming Avenue, El Paso TX 79903, United States of America.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Henry O. Flipper (a few steps from this marker); Fort Bliss Buffalo Soldiers Memorial (approx. 0.4 miles away); Guardian Angel Church (approx. half a mile away); Concordia Cemetery (approx. half a mile away); John Wesley Hardin (approx. half a mile away); The Mormon Plot in Concordia Cemetery (approx. half a mile away); Site of Camp Concordia and Fort Bliss (approx. mile away); Defining A Border (approx. 0.8 miles away). Click for a list of all markers in El Paso.
 
Credits. This page originally submitted on October 30, 2012, by Bill Kirchner of Tucson, Arizona. This page has been viewed 181 times since then. Photos:   1, 2. submitted on October 30, 2012, by Bill Kirchner of Tucson, Arizona. • Bernard Fisher was the editor who published this page.
 
Recommend or Share This Page.  
Share on Tumblr


•••
More Search Options
 
Markers
Near You

 
Categories

 
States & Provinces

 
Counties
Click to List


 
Countries

Page composed
in 186 ms.

 
 
 
 
 
 
 
To search within this page, hold down the Ctrl key and press F.
On an Apple computer,
hold down the Apple key and press F.