Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Near Baldwyn in Lee County, Mississippi — The American South (East South Central)
 

Bethany A.R.P. Church

 
 
Bethany A.R.P. Church Marker image. Click for full size.
By David Graff, April 23, 2012
1. Bethany A.R.P. Church Marker
Inscription. Organized in 1852 by the Alabama Presbytery, Bethany Associate Reformed Presbyterian Church had a charter membership of twenty-five including four slaves. The church was used as a hospital in 1864 following the Battle of Brice's Cross Roads. The present structure, built in 1956, is located across the road from the original church.
 
Erected 2002 by Mississippi Department of Archives and History.
 
Marker series. This marker is included in the Mississippi State Historical Marker Program marker series.
 
Location. 34° 30.332′ N, 88° 43.739′ W. Marker is near Baldwyn, Mississippi, in Lee County. Marker is at the intersection of Guntown Road (County Route 833) and Bethany Road (Mississippi Highway 330), on the right when traveling west on Guntown Road. Click for map. Bethany Church is across Bethany Road from the NPS Battle of Brice's Road site. Bethany Road continues southeast renamed to Pontotoc Road (County Rd 2902). Guntown Road continues northeast renamed to Ripley Road (State Rd. 370). Marker is in this post office area: Baldwyn MS 38824, United States of America.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Brice Home (a few steps from this marker); Morton's Battery
Bethany A.R.P. Church Marker image. Click for full size.
By Brandon Fletcher, November 30, 2008
2. Bethany A.R.P. Church Marker
Marker in relation to church.
(within shouting distance of this marker); Battle of Brice's Cross Roads (within shouting distance of this marker); a different marker also named Battle of Brices Cross Roads (within shouting distance of this marker); General Sturgis' Supreme Effort (within shouting distance of this marker); Tyler's Flanking Maneuver (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); Federal's Second Battle Line (about 600 feet away); Brice's Cross Roads (about 800 feet away). Click for a list of all markers in Baldwyn.
 
More about this marker. Bethany Church Cemetery is located beside the church and contains the graves of about 60 Confederates who died at the Battle of Brices Crossroads.
 
Related marker. Click here for another marker that is related to this marker. To better understand the relationship, study each marker in the order shown.
 
Additional keywords. Forrest, Sturgis
 
Categories. Churches, Etc.War, US Civil
 
Bethany A.R.P. Church image. Click for full size.
By David Graff, April 23, 2012
3. Bethany A.R.P. Church
Church cemetery is visible in the background.
 
 
Credits. This page originally submitted on , by David Graff of Halifax, Nova Scotia. This page has been viewed 408 times since then and 20 times this year. Photos:   1. submitted on , by David Graff of Halifax, Nova Scotia.   2. submitted on , by Brandon Fletcher of Chattanooga, Tennessee.   3. submitted on , by David Graff of Halifax, Nova Scotia. • Craig Swain was the editor who published this page. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016.
Paid Advertisement