Clayton in Barbour County, Alabama — The American South (East South Central)
Miller – Martin Townhouse
John Council and Alice Floyd Martin purchased the home in 1915 and reared their four daughters, Mildred, Alice, Jonnie and Leila there. The property was inherited by daughter, Alice Martin Anderson in 1964. Her daughter, Ann Floyd Martin Miller donated the property to the Clayton Historical Preservation Authority in 1983. In 1998, Mr. and Mrs. Charles Sewell purchased an extensively renovated the townhouse.
Erected 1999 by Charles and Wanda Sewell and the Historic Chattahoochee Commission.
Location. 31° 52.503′ N, 85° 27.129′ W. Marker is in Clayton, Alabama, in Barbour County. Marker Click for map. Marker is in this post office area: Clayton AL 36016, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 9 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Grace Episcopal Church (approx. 0.2 miles away); Jere Locke Beasley (approx. ¼ mile away); History of Clayton, Alabama/Clayton’s Architectural Heritage (approx. ¼ mile away); Barbour County / Early Barbour County Commissioners (approx. ¼ mile away); Octagon House (approx. 0.3 miles away); George Corley Wallace, Lurleen Burns Wallace Governors of Alabama (approx. 0.6 miles away); Union Baptist Church Cemetery (approx. 4 miles away); Louisville (approx. 8.4 miles away). Click for a list of all markers in Clayton.
Categories. • Notable Buildings •
Credits. This page originally submitted on , by David J Gaines of Pinson, Alabama. This page has been viewed 449 times since then. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on , by David J Gaines of Pinson, Alabama. • Craig Swain was the editor who published this page. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016.