Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Clinton in Prince George's County, Maryland — The American Northeast (Mid-Atlantic)
 

Thrift School

1884-1909

 
 
Thrift School Marker image. Click for full size.
By M. A. Pimentel, March 9, 2008
1. Thrift School Marker
Inscription. One of the oldest surviving one-room schoolhouses in Prince George’s County, Thrift School was built in 1884. It replaced an earlier school from 1869 located on the same site. The School Commissioners, having acquired the one-acre tract from the Bryan Family 15 years earlier, contracted J.B. Townshend to rebuild the school for $495. The school’s first two modern innovations were acquired in 1905—a water closet and a typewriter.

The school was closed in 1909 after area residents requested that a new school be built in a more accessible location. Subsequently, the property was sold and the structure was altered to serve as a dwelling; however, despite the alterations, it still retains the exterior appearance of a typical late 19th century schoolhouse. In 1962, the school and 500 acres were conveyed to The Maryland-National Capital Park & Planning Commission and are now a part of Cosca Regional Park.

Historic Property of the Maryland-National Capital Park and Planning Commission.
For additional information, call 301-218-9564
 
Erected by Maryland National Park and Planning Commission.
 
Location. 38° 43.723′ N, 76° 55.177′ W. Marker is in Clinton, Maryland, in Prince George's County
Thrift School and Marker image. Click for full size.
By M. A. Pimentel, March 9, 2008
2. Thrift School and Marker
. Marker is on Thrift Road 0.2 miles east of Tippet Road, on the left when traveling east. Click for map. Marker is in this post office area: Clinton MD 20735, United States of America.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 4 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Surratt Tavern (approx. 2.7 miles away); John Wilkes Booth (approx. 2.8 miles away); a different marker also named John Wilkes Booth (approx. 2.8 miles away); Crucifix (approx. 2.9 miles away); T.B. (approx. 3.1 miles away); “Coach” James W. Crawford (approx. 3.1 miles away); Piscataway (approx. 3.1 miles away); Chapel Hill (approx. 3.2 miles away). Click for a list of all markers in Clinton.
 
Also see . . .  Cosca Regional Park. The Thrift School is now part of this park. (Submitted on March 10, 2008, by Kevin W. of Stafford, Virginia.) 
 
Categories. EducationNotable Buildings
 
Thrift School image. Click for full size.
By M. A. Pimentel, March 9, 2008
3. Thrift School
The Thrift School, in 1974 image. Click for full size.
M. Dwyer - Maryland Historical Trust (Historic Sites Survey), August 1, 1974
4. The Thrift School, in 1974
Thrift School, southeast elevation image. Click for full size.
Susan G. Pearl - Maryland Historical Trust (Historic Sites Survey), December 1984
5. Thrift School, southeast elevation
Thrift School, southwest elevation image. Click for full size.
Susan G. Pearl - Maryland Historical Trust (Historic Sites Survey), December 1984
6. Thrift School, southwest elevation
Thrift School, northeast elevation image. Click for full size.
Susan G. Pearl - Maryland Historical Trust (Historic Sites Survey), December 1984
7. Thrift School, northeast elevation
 
 
Credits. This page originally submitted on , by M. A. Pimentel of Waldorf, Maryland. This page has been viewed 1,439 times since then and 20 times this year. Photos:   1, 2, 3. submitted on , by M. A. Pimentel of Waldorf, Maryland.   4, 5, 6, 7. submitted on , by Christopher Busta-Peck of Shaker Heights, Ohio. • Kevin W. was the editor who published this page. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016.
Paid Advertisement