Near Marfa in Presidio County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)
(ca. 1829 – December 1889)
Springs flowed abundantly on all three ranches, providing water for livestock and agriculture. In the fertile fields surrounding the ranches, Faver devised and installed irrigation systems that supplied water for vegetables, grain, and large peach orchards. El Fortin del Cibolo, ranch headquarters, served as a supply station for the U.S. Army quartermaster division at Ft. Davis. Troops used the ranch as a point of departure for forays into Indian occupied regions to the west and north.
Celebrated for his hospitality, Faver was known as a gentleman of means who lived in style. He died in December 1889 and was buried on his ranch at Cibolo.
Erected 1992 by Texas Historical Commission. (Marker Number 3391.)
Location. 29° 53.496′ N, 104° 16.474′ W. Marker is near Marfa, Texas, in Presidio County. Marker is on U.S. 67 26.2 miles south of Ranch to Market Road 169, on the right when traveling south. Click for map. Marker is about 33 miles south of Marfa and 26 miles north of Presidio. Marker is in this post office area: Marfa TX 79843, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 3 other markers are within 6 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Milton Faver Ranches (approx. 0.7 miles away); a different marker also named Milton Faver (approx. 5.6 miles away); Brooks Cemetery (approx. 5.9 miles away).
Categories. • Agriculture •
Credits. This page originally submitted on , by Bill Kirchner of Tucson, Arizona. This page has been viewed 234 times since then and 5 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on , by Bill Kirchner of Tucson, Arizona. • Bernard Fisher was the editor who published this page. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016.