Lawton in Comanche County, Oklahoma — The American South (West South Central)
Comanche Reformed Church
This bell was especially cast for the Comanche Reformed Church when the church was completed in 1905. The bell was used during the ministries of Reverend L.L. Legters, first missionary, and his successors, Reverends H. Sluyter, J. Dykema, R.H. Harper, J.L. Read, and R.P. Chaat.
Reverend Robert Chaat of the Comanche Indian Tribe began his ministry of the Comanche Reformed Church in 1925, and devotedly served his people in this capacity throughout the year 1970. During his long tenure the bell rang out for services, funerals, weddings, and countless other joyous and sad occasions.
In keeping with its historical and sacred associations, this bell is here preserved through the efforts of the Church congregation and the Institute of the Great Plains.
Installed and dedicated, May 30, 1971
Erected 1971 by Congregation of the Comanche Reformed Church and the Institute of the Great Plains.
Location. 34° 37.983′ N, 98° 23.283′ W. Marker is in Lawton, Oklahoma, in Comanche County. Marker can be reached from Indian Trail Road north of NW Mission Boulevard, on the left when traveling north. Click for map. Marker is in this post office area: Lawton OK 73507, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers Col Jack L. Treadwell (approx. 1.4 miles away); Satank Killed (approx. 1.5 miles away); Fort Sill (approx. 2 miles away); Proud American (approx. 2.3 miles away); 280mm Heavy Motorized Gun M65 (approx. 2.3 miles away); Post Guardhouse (approx. 2.5 miles away); Post Headquarters (approx. 2.5 miles away); Infantry Barracks (approx. 2.5 miles away).
More about this marker. Church can be seen from US Interstate 44 (H.E. Bailey Turnpike) and can be accessed from either exit 39 or 40.
Also see . . .
1. Reformed Church in America. information about the Comanche Reformed Church can be found about halfway down the page.
2. Wikipedia - Meneely Bell Foundry.
Categories. • Churches, Etc. • Native Americans •
Credits. This page originally submitted on , by Lee Hattabaugh of Capshaw, Alabama. This page has been viewed 464 times since then. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7. submitted on , by Lee Hattabaugh of Capshaw, Alabama. • Bernard Fisher was the editor who published this page.