Midway Baptist Church
Organized July 28, 1852
The southwest corner of Feaginís field was selected as a building site in December 1852 and, in February 1853, a frame structure with glass windows, but no steeple, was dedicated. A steeple and bell were added to the building in 1859 and gas lamps replaced candles in 1869. In 1872 the Church was rebuilt with the original materials at hand. Renovations in 1902 and 1930 added stained glass windows. Sunday School rooms, restrooms, and a kitchen but the structure has retained some of its original building materials and rests upon its original site.
The Church has been actively associated with other congregations since its beginnings in the Salem Association of Barbour County to the Bullock Centennial Association of the present. It has been associated with the
Erected 2002 by Alabama Historical Association.
Location. 32° 4.827′ N, 85° 31.125′ W. Marker is in Midway, Alabama, in Bullock County. Marker is on Main Street, on the right when traveling south. Click for map. Marker is in this post office area: Midway AL 36053, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 10 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Confederate Memorial (about 700 feet away, measured in a direct line); St. James C.M.E. Church (approx. 0.7 miles away); First Baptist Missionary Church 1875 (approx. 0.7 miles away); Town of Midway (approx. 0.7 miles away); Old Merritt School Midway Community Center (approx. ĺ mile away); Three Notch Road (approx. 3.9 miles away); Election Riot of 1874 (approx. 8.6 miles away); Aberfoil Community (approx. 9.9 miles away). Click for a list of all markers in Midway.
Categories. • Churches, Etc. •
Credits. This page originally submitted on , by David J Gaines of Pinson, Alabama. This page has been viewed 408 times since then and 25 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on , by David J Gaines of Pinson, Alabama. • Bill Pfingsten was the editor who published this page. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016.