Near Alpine in Brewster County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)
Created February 2, 1887.
Organized February 14, 1887.
In 1897 the territory of Buchel
and Foley counties was
added to Brewster. Named for
Henry Percy Brewster, 1816-1884
soldier and statesman, a hero
of San Jacinto.
Murphyville, county seat, 1887,
name changed to Alpine, 1889.
Largest county in area in the
Erected 1936 by Texas Highway Department. (Marker Number 503.)
Marker series. This marker is included in the Texas 1936 Centennial Markers and Monuments marker series.
Location. 30° 22.508′ N, 103° 32.019′ W. Marker is near Alpine, Texas, in Brewster County. Marker is at the intersection of U.S. 90 and U.S. 67, on the right when traveling west on U.S. 90. Click for map. Marker is in this post office area: Alpine TX 79830, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 8 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Ancient Rocks Boundary (within shouting distance of this marker); Lawrence Sullivan Ross (approx. 7.1 miles away); Burgess' Water Hole (approx. 7.5 miles away); Nolte-Rooney House Gage-Van Sickle (approx. 7.6 miles away); First Baptist Church of Alpine (approx. 7.7 miles away); Ritchey Hotel (approx. 7.7 miles away); Our Lady of Peace Catholic Church (approx. 7.7 miles away). Click for a list of all markers in Alpine.
Categories. • Settlements & Settlers •
Credits. This page originally submitted on , by Bill Kirchner of Tucson, Arizona. This page has been viewed 177 times since then and 52 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on , by Bill Kirchner of Tucson, Arizona. • Bernard Fisher was the editor who published this page. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016.