Inscription. General William Smallwood
By M. A. Pimentel
|1. General Smallwood's Gravesite Marker|
A hero of the American Revolution
and a native of Maryland
Commissioned Colonel in 1776
Brigadier General in 1777
Major General in 1780
Elected Governor of Maryland in 1785
Died February 14, 1792
Erected over his remains by the Maryland Society, Sons of the American Revolution, July 4, 1898
Erected 1898 by Maryland Society, Sons of the American Revolution.
Marker series. This marker is included in the Sons of the American Revolution - marker series.
Location. 38° 32.974′ N, 77° 11.239′ W. Marker is in Marbury, Maryland, in Charles County. Marker can be reached from Sweden Point Road, on the right when traveling south. Click for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 2750 Sweden Point Road, Marbury MD 20658, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 5 miles of this marker, as the crow flies. Smallwood's Home (approx. ¾ mile away); Rum Point (approx. one mile away); General Joseph Hooker, U.S.A. (approx. 2.1 miles away); General Daniel E. Sickles, U.S.A. (approx. 4.2 miles away); Budds Ferry (approx. 4.3 miles away); "A Pacific Paradise on the Potomac" (approx. 4.3 miles away in Virginia); "At the Point of Rock" (approx. 4.3 miles away in Virginia); The Freestone Fisheries (approx. 4.3 miles away in Virginia). Click for a list of all markers in Marbury.
By M. A. Pimentel
|2. Gravesite of General Smallwood.|
|Smallwood's Retreat, in the background, was the colonial home of General William Smallwood.|
Also see . . .
1. Smallwood State Park. Smallwood was the home of General William Smallwood, a Revolutionary War officer who was the 4th Governor of Maryland. His house, called Smallwood's Retreat, has been restored and is open to visitors. (Submitted on March 10, 2008, by Kevin W. of Stafford, Virginia.)
2. Historic Graves of Maryland. (Submitted on March 10, 2008, by Kevin W. of Stafford, Virginia.)
Credits. This page originally submitted on March 10, 2008, by M. A. Pimentel of Waldorf, Maryland. This page has been viewed 1,451 times since then. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on March 9, 2008, by M. A. Pimentel of Waldorf, Maryland. • Kevin W. was the editor who published this page.
|Recommend or Share This Page. |