“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Aberfoil in Bullock County, Alabama — The American South (East South Central)

Aberfoil Community

Aberfoil Community Marker, front image. Click for full size.
By David J Gaines, October 20, 2012
1. Aberfoil Community Marker, front
Inscription. The town of Aberfoil was incorporated January 26, 1839, in then Macon County, with the first election for councilors conducted and managed by Lewis Stoudenmire, Charles G. Lynch, Thomas Scott, David Hudson, and A. J. and E. A. Jackson. Aberfoil was the first town incorporated within the present boundaries of Bullock County, and was one of three sites considered for the county seat in 1867.

The Aberoil post office was established with Alfred Spaulding appointed postmaster on September 3, 1837. The Aberfoil Male and Female Academy was incorporated as the community’s first school on February 2, 1839, with Lewis Stoudenmire, Benjamin Scot, Samuel Johnson, James Larkin, Charles G. Lynch, Linson Keener and John McBearhall as trustees. Aberfoil Academy, with F. G. Thomas, James Larkin, A. Y. Frierson, Lewis Stoudenmire, Frederick Houghton as trustees, followed in 1843. Another Aberfoil Academy was incorporated in 1860, with Howell Peebles, John Allums, Simon Stinson and N. G. Owens as trustees. Aberfoil Public School was organized by Reverend C. H. Thornton in 1890, located next to the Elizabeth Missionary Baptist Church.

Aberfoil community has been served by Lydia Baptist Church and Aberfoil Methodist Episcopal Church for the white population and Walton Chapel and Elizabeth Missionary Baptist Church for the African American population.

Aberfoil Community Marker, back image. Click for full size.
By David J Gaines, October 20, 2012
2. Aberfoil Community Marker, back
Cemeteries in the community include Lydia Cemetery, Aberfoil Methodist Episcopal South Church Cemetery (Aberfoil family Cemetery), Elizabeth Missionary Baptist Church Cemetery, and African Methodist Episcopal Church Cemetery. Several stores, a Masonic Lodge and a blacksmith shop served the community which thrived into the early 1900s.

Dallas Stoudenmire, a native of Aberfoil, joined the Confederate army at age 16 and became a legendary lawman in the post-war West where he served as a Texas Ranger, Town Marshall of El Paso, and United States Deputy Marshal.
Erected 2005 by The Bullock County Historical Society and the Alabama Historical Association.
Location. 32° 4.104′ N, 85° 41.234′ W. Marker is in Aberfoil, Alabama, in Bullock County. Marker is on U.S. 29 just north of Twin Trail, on the right when traveling south. Click for map. Marker is in this post office area: Union Springs AL 36089, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 6 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Indian Treaty Boundary Line (approx. 4.5 miles away); Sardis Baptist Church, Cemetery, and School (approx. 4.6 miles away); a different marker also named Indian Treaty Boundary Line (approx. 5.3 miles away); Trinity Episcopal Church/Red Door Theater (approx. 5.5 miles away); Log Cabin Museum/Old City Cemetery (approx. 5.5 miles away); Bullock County Courthouse Historic District (approx. 5.6 miles away); Union Springs, Alabama (approx. 5.6 miles away); Three Notch Road (approx. 6 miles away).
Categories. Settlements & Settlers

Credits. This page originally submitted on , by David J Gaines of Pinson, Alabama. This page has been viewed 433 times since then and 97 times this year. Photos:   1, 2. submitted on , by David J Gaines of Pinson, Alabama. • Bill Pfingsten was the editor who published this page. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016.
Paid Advertisement