Houston in Harris County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)
Harris County 1910 Courthouse
The present structure, which was built in 1909-1910, served as the fifth Harris County Courthouse at this location. Designed by Charles Erwin Barglebaugh, an associate in the prominent Dallas architectural firm of Lang and Winchell, the building features classical revival styling. Outstanding details include the domed roof, ornate central projections, or risalits, with Corinthian columns, and elaborate ornamentation of terra cotta, limestone and masonry. Building materials include pink Texas granite and light brown St. Louis brick. During construction of the courthouse, county offices were housed in a nearby theater.
Shortly after a new criminal courthouse and jail facility was built east of the square in 1952, this structure was remodeled and used as the Harris County Civil Courts Building. Beginning in 2009, the county restored the exterior and interior public spaces to their original 1910 appearances. Now in its second century serving the citizens of Harris County, the 1910 courthouse is a dramatic example of civic architecture and a symbol of Harris County's
Marker is property of the State of Texas
Erected 2009 by Texas Historical Commission.
Location. 29° 45.682′ N, 95° 21.599′ W. Marker is in Houston, Texas, in Harris County. Marker is at the intersection of Fannin Street and Congress Street, on the right when traveling north on Fannin Street. Click for map. Marker is in this post office area: Houston TX 77002, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Pillot Building (within shouting distance of this marker); Harris County (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); Sweeney, Coombs & Fredericks Building (about 300 feet away); First White House of the Republic of Texas (about 400 feet away); Old Market Square (about 800 feet away); Houston Cotton Exchange and Board of Trade (approx. 0.2 miles away); The Kennedy Bakery (approx. 0.2 miles away); Magnolia Brewery Building (approx. 0.2 miles away). Click for a list of all markers in Houston.
Regarding Harris County 1910 Courthouse. This building is in the National Register of Historic Places
Also see . . .
1. Blog on the Restoration of the Old Courthouse. (Submitted on November 12, 2012, by Jim Evans of Houston, Texas.)
2. Old Marker at this Location. This marker replaced an older one at this location titled “Harris County Courthouse of 1910” (Submitted on November 27, 2012.)
Categories. • Notable Buildings •
Credits. This page originally submitted on , by Jim Evans of Houston, Texas. This page has been viewed 375 times since then and 90 times this year. Photos: 1. submitted on , by Jim Evans of Houston, Texas. 2. submitted on , by Jim Evans of Houston, Texas. 3. submitted on , by Jim Evans of Houston, Texas. • Bernard Fisher was the editor who published this page. This page was last revised on July 29, 2016.